VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

631a future exams

Rate this question

DonH

Question

631a future exams?

My husband received a FED EX packet desiring he come in to see  the named doctor as indicated in the letter. It was noted in the letter that my husband was to report to a separate medical facility, not VA; yet, assigned by VA within the next few days  (11/15/17) from the date he received the letter via FED EX.....Except it wasn't. a  physical  examination  It was more of an inquiring discussion about his Prostate Cancer; erectile dysfunction specifically; diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago;  as well as about (rectal colon cancer-2011) in general.

In reviewing EBenefits; we noted something called: 

631a future exams

Control of Examinations (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs) indicated on October 31, 2017 as a claim. Our Agent did not request it so it must have been VA initiated. (????)

I googled 631a future exams. Seemingly, it has to do with determining: TDIU. The doctor mentioned that he believed the VA was trying to determine if my husband had been cured. Cured?  He's not going to be cured. He's receiving  Hormone shots every 6 months to contain the Prostate Cancer. Since he already had colon previously, rectal cancer, the VA doctors don't want to risk subjecting my husband with more radiation; particularly at his age (75). The VA doctors explained that the Hormone Shots are not a cure. It is a method in which to contain the cancer. Since beginning the regiment of  the Hormone Therapy, remarkably his PSA has been kept low. The doctors told my husband if the Hormone Therapy ceases to be effective by showing that his PSA is rising out of control......then, at that point, they well have no choice but to intercede with radiation.

So is the VA trying to determine TDIU or reduction? I read after age 55 and most definitely by the time a veteran is age 75, it violates a VA code for VA to keep scheduling exams on the same disability if the disability has persisted for 5 years or more. What does any one know about the purpose of 631a future exams?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Sorry to hear of ur husband's health issues. It sucks when the VA calls a Vet to a review exam. I have had quite a few.  Most went well, but 1 was reduced from 30% to 10%. Just try not to worry too much.  Make sure he is well documented and u take whatever evidence u need to the exam. Also make sure you ask questions if need be.  Do not let the doc over talk u.  Good luck and keep us posted.  God bless

My husband was eventually rated from from 30% PTSD to 50% PTSD, effective December 18, 2018....actually,, it should have been retroactive to 2006. And, he was granted  individual unemployability as of December 18, 2018; actually though, this was due retroactive to 2011. Our Representative is extremely methodically planning to address at a later date...hopefully soon.

A veteran has one year to file an NOD to correct any decision, after that a veteran or his/her representative would have to file a CUE Claim which has a higher threshold to win, not impossible but harder to win compared to simply filing an NOD. 

I replied minutes ago ,to your other recent post in the other thread....

with a question about CUE.

I assume ,as you said, your representative is going over the decision for potential CUE or for why they picked the EED they used for his retro.

That is why I asked when he formally filed the claim.

It is best to stay in the same thread when posting questions.

Edited by Berta

Filed claim for his Colon Cancer in 2011.  Filed for Prostate Cancer in 2015. Began filing on PTSD; neuropathy; shrapnel scarring; arthritis; headaches; and for our son's condition in the 1990's (mid to late 1990's). Actually, all the denials for prior neuropathy and arthritis claims were identified as existing conditions within VA testing done to conclude the ALS Variant (Monomelic Amyotrophy). However, VA doctors cannot make referrals for compensation. Their written notes within the Veteran's files serve as a goldmine for outside doctors who write IMO's.

Edited by DonH
To correct grammar error