VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How to claim Migraine due to TBI

Rate this question

K_C

Question

Hello everyone,

This question feels incredibly silly, but it's stumping me.

1. Would like to claim Migraine headaches due to TBI
  2. Not currently rated for TBI
  3. Not (currently) seeking anything related to the TBI other than migraines

• Are the migraines secondary to TBI, or
  • Are the migraines directly service connected with TBI being the in-service event?

If the migraines are secondary to TBI, how does one ever get a current diagnosis of TBI, seeing as it's an event sort of thing? Or, how do you work around this? In other words, if I broke a bone ten years ago I wouldn't be able to get a current diagnosis of broken bone, thus there is no "broken bone" disability. I would claim the actual disability that exists today, but referencing the broken bone incident as the alleged in-service event and cause. I imagine this is how it works with TBI; claim the current disability but reference the TBI as the in-service event and show nexus between them.

Or, am I way off?

Thank you in advance!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

My TBI and migraines are rated together. My TBI is from time in service.  A neurologist and a brain scan can help u bud along with in service documentation to help support ur claim.  U need to get all ur ducks n a row first.  TBI is very hard to get SC for without the proper evidence. Good luck and keep us posted

My Migraines are considered secondary to my TBi and it also depends on how your TBI will be connected    And if it doesn’t get connected then you won’t be granted for your headaches until your tbi is connected that’s at least how my was rated and connected. Why is it not connected if you don’t mind me asking?

Edited by jfrei

@Navy04 Evidence is scant but there is at least a little, plus I can get a buddy letter from the driver. I am working on getting some kind of record of the accident, but so far it's proven more evasive than I expected it would be. I thought accident records would be relatively easy to get from the DMV or law enforcement. Apparently not.

@jfrei It's not SC'd because I've never claimed it. I've had migraines since the accident, 14 years ago, but only recently started claiming any of my disabilities. I didn't even know veterans disability existed until about 2013, more than five years after discharge.

Happy Thanksgiving.