VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

unable to start anything

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

So I tried doing the Voc rehab and after 6 months of not stating a program she said well we can do an extended evaluation for another 6  months which filed again by not starting anything. Now I am 100% P and T scheduler now and now have to expect my dream job is over and need to move on. But to what can I do, this is not a direct answer question and now having my rating permanent and total, I just want to know how to pass my days not being a couch potato or fixated on a smart phone like the zombies do at my local Diner. Other then this VA claim BS it consumed my last 7 years until its almost right with just two appeals that mean nothing but an earlier effective date and a SSA disability claim which my in person hearing is in 3 weeks. Has anyone used the program to start a new hobby a VA rep said well you can always take up fingerpainting?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Schedular can still work. Im 90% and use CH 31 in VR&E. You should be able to get into a college or some type of vocational training that you like. They also have the Independent living services that you should qualify for. Like shop work? Make furniture in your garage. The VA can pay for the tools and get you started. Same thing with a greenhouse, ASKNOD did that one. He is still fighting to get it done, but its a path that he blazed for all of us so you can follow his example. The VOC-REHAB rep you have should talk to you about all of the potentials, and if they dont, research on your own. Find the door, and go through it!

I was under the Voc extended rehab evaluation for about a year without success of starting anything but maybe next year when I get back from rehab in Virginia I’ll give it another go...

Well, I suggest you make a choice to "enjoy" this phase of your life, doing things you wanted to do earlier, but did not have the time.  Of course, you will have to limit your choices to what your are physically and mentally able to do, but that still is probably a lot.  

As suggested, I make things in my shop with wood.  I have made a chair, a small table and a folding table.  This Christmas I am making toys, and pens for the adults. 

You can buy a lathe for about 300 to 500 dollars, but you will still need at least a chop saw, or better is a table saw, and radial arm.  As explained, you may even get Va to pay for all/parts of your woodworking shop.    I went to a woodworking seminar, and chose between carving (inexpensive to get started), scrollsawing, and turning on a lathe.  I like turning on a lathe.  You could even ask VA for a CNC lathe...those are 3 thousand or more dollars.  You can start small...even with a pocket knife and a sharpening stone and some sandpaper.  Later you can get one of those "dremel" tools which speeds the job for about 100 dollars plus some of the bits.  There are cord and cordless models.  You will probably need a shop vac if you dont already have one.  

If you dont like working with wood, there is blowing glass (probably cheaper to get started), and some people even like welding.  

There is painting, as you mentioned.  

There are hundreds of hobbies:  playing chess, reading, knitting (yes, I have known men who knit or crochet..you choose there), stamp collecting, bitcoin (my favorite, and profitable, too), 

knife making, there are so many its hard to choose.  I stay so busy..in fact, I am very busy making christmas gifts.  I dont know if I will get them all done.  I have already made about 6 pens, and a spinning top, just in the past few days.  Woodcraft, near my home, will be happy to show you, and many even offer classes to demonstrate.  

Jrefi - jmo - I am with Broncovet - the sky's the limit. I feel as though you are limiting yourself -

I just got my BS degree through Voc Rehab - I am so glad I did it -

it kept my mind alert and I did well in school but did sit at my computer more than I wanted too and had to read all day. I set a schedule up at 5- on the books by 7 - took a lunch break - off by 2-3p -

I made it my "job".

Now that I am unable to work. I still make my day - a "job" up at the same time -

dressed and groomed for whatever the day brings.

It helps with depression too. I still get anxiety pretty severely ,but find productive ways to fill my day with purposeful activities. My home is clean - organized  et al. I research subjects I am interested in - I have a workbook - teaching myself Spanish.  I attend Yoga and support groups at the VA Good Luck