Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Copy of DBQ. Looking for insight?

Rate this question

chriscond

Question

Im currently service connected at 50% for panic with anxiety and depression. This is for an increased rating. I'm not working right now and receive SSDI. I applied for an increase in 2016 and was kept at 50%. I didn't pursue it further because I felt like their reasoning was sound. This time I know things have gotten worse and will appeal it to the full extent necessary. Any thoughts would be helpful.

----------------

Axis 1: Panic Disorder, Bipolar II disorder
Axis 2: None
Axis 3: Chronic Pain due to facial trauma
Axis 4: Problems in realtionships
Axis 5: 32

Occupational and Social Impairment:
Occupational and social impairment with deficincies in most areas

Symptoms:
The ones that were checked are Depressed Mood, Anxiety. Suspiciousness, Panic Attacks more than once a week, Impaired Judgment, Disturbances of motivation and mood, Difficulty establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships. difficulty adapting to stressful circumstances including work or its setting, suicidal ideation, persistent danger of hurting self or others, neglect of personal appearance and hygiene, intermittent ability to perform activities of daily living, including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene.

The notes were very thorough throughout the DBQ as well. In the remarks section there is a lot of writing but basically says that I'm currently unable to show stabilization in mood, frequently depressed with avoidance of family friends and self care. Instability due to panic affect ability to participate at times in public events and pursuing work due to high levels of agitation and panic when overwhelmed. Periods of SI with one SA. Self harm, Impulsiveness, Lack of emotional regulation leads to weekly and at times daily conflict with partner and others.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Even if you currently have a New Claim or Appeals Decision pending, when a New Or possible Secondary SC Issue presents, FILE the Claim. Let the VA Rater sort out your supporting evidence.

The above recommendation does not hold true for an Old Vet sitting back and hoping his SC T & P won't get a Review. Filing a Claim for SC or Increase opens all Ratings for a possible review.

Have you filed for the Increase?  The Date of the DBQ responses posted above is? Was this DBQ a result of a C & P Exam?

Much easier if you post redacted copies of all  C & P DBQs and both Award and Denial Letters.

13 minutes ago, Gastone said:

Have you filed for the Increase?  The Date of the DBQ responses posted above is? Was this DBQ a result of a C & P Exam?

Much easier if you post redacted copies of all  C & P DBQs and both Award and Denial Letters.

I have an intent to file with the VA that was initiated in August 2017. I initiated that after I took some psychological exam tests at a Psychologists office (MMPI i believe) and it showed severe limitations (i already knew that but the VA wanted it done so whatever) due to anxiety/depression, etc. 

The DBQ was done by my personal provider. The date of the DBQ is February 20th 2018. My VSO told me if I could get my own provider to fill the DBQ out with a copy of all of my records they would send it in as a Decision Ready Claim and hopefully get a decision one way or the other within the next couple months. I'll be giving that to her (VSO) within the week when I see her next.

I don't know where my Award letter and previous denial for increase are at the moment. I do remember the denial saying that I was staying at 50% and while there were a "couple" of criteria from the 70% met, the preponderance of the record more approximarted 50%.

VA Rater's are reluctant to accept private MH DBQ's as the final word for most MH Issues.

Considering you had a MH  Increase Denial (2016/17), I would expect a VA VMC or Contract MH C & P.

Did you NOD the Increase Denial, what's the 12-month Appeal cutoff date?

20 minutes ago, Gastone said:

VA Rater's are reluctant to accept private MH DBQ's as the final word for most MH Issues.

Considering you had a MH  Increase Denial (2016/17), I would expect a VA VMC or Contract MH C & P.

Did you NOD the Increase Denial, what's the 12-month Appeal cutoff date?

It's a private provider but paid for by the VA. I'm also seen by a VA provider who says basically the same thing in her notes.

The denial I received was in 2016 but it stemmed from seeking an increase in 2013. Since that time I suffered a brutal assault  (jaw fractures on both sides, had to have titanium plates and screws put into my face and I was wired shut for 6 weeks). That all happened because I was trying to do exposure therapy like my providers wanted me to..Diagnosed TBI from that. Since then things have gone down hill emotionally. 

I'm well beyond the 12 month appeal cutoff date. In fact, the denial in 2016 was a denial by a DRO  from an original denial in 2014. My next step would have been to take it to an ALJ. 

Yeah I was thinking they'd probably schedule for a C&P anyway, was just hoping they wouldn't. Well, bring it on I guess. 

Thanks for your help.

Did you file a New Secondary Claim linking the TBI & Residuals to you SC MH condition?