Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Im 100% SC asking for Dental Implants for Bridge.

Rate this question

JOHNR58

Question

I'm SC but not for Dental. I had an Upper Bridge all work done by civilians in 1989. Auto accident covered by Insurance. This lasted until 2014 at which time they began to loosen and fall out. I had them reinstalled by local Dentist until finally my teeth had to come out from all the stress and drilling repair.  I cannot afford the cost of Implants and I'm asking if anyone has experience with Birmingham VAMC as far as Implants go ? My Primary Care Doc has said he should be able to get me in the Clinic for Implants, however, the final decision would of course , be theirs. FYI , I'm 100% S/C for L/Hip fracture, Both knees broken , Broken Rt/Femur with leg shortening , and broken bones on top of left Foot.   Opinions, advice ?

Thanks for your time

John

Edited by JOHNR58
spelling errors

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am not sure  but if your 100%S.C. yes  you should be able to get your teeth fixed at the VA if they do such work?

Some VA Dentals don't do implants or a particular surgery..so you may need to get a referral from your dental clinic  to a VA Dental clinic that does the work you need...I don't think you would be entitled to travel pay but you may ask about it  if it's a referral.

Good Luck with it.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

100 percent P and T Vets get dental care, regardless if there is a dental sc issue or not.   However, I do not know if your VAMC dental department will do this or not, you would have to ask them.  

I suggest you go to your local VAMC  dental department, make an appointment, and discuss this with your VA dentist.  

If your local VAMC does not have dental, you "may" need to go to another VAMC and VA probably will give you travel pay between your home and the neareast dental department with each appointment.  

J, B & B, I'm currently in process of receiving a VMC Dental Implant. After you make the Implant request, the Oral Surgeon has to determine if you're a good candidate for the Implant Procedure as evidenced by the multitude of Special Xrays. The main concern is with the bone structure and possible nerve damage caused by drilling for the implant base.

1 hour ago, Gastone said:

J, B & B, I'm currently in process of receiving a VMC Dental Implant. After you make the Implant request, the Oral Surgeon has to determine if you're a good candidate for the Implant Procedure as evidenced by the multitude of Special Xrays. The main concern is with the bone structure and possible nerve damage caused by drilling for the implant base.

Do you know if Bone Grafts are done to improve the chances. Im no expert but Im pretty sure I will require a Bone Graft. Are you by chance in the Birmingham VAMC  system , I see your location is Troy MI. One thing I have learned is that not all VAMC's are created equal in the Implant biz. . I do appreciate your input . :-) 

Have a great Weekend !

John

About a year ago, after having an extraction, I was given the option of a Bridge or Implant. The VMC Oral Surgeon put in layers of a thin flimsy substance and stitched it up. At that point, he said it would take about (3) months to see if the substance became bone. Re-exam was about 07/17, Surgeon decided I needed (2) more months, installed Base 11/17. 4/16 is my next follow-up appointment.

I use the John Dingell VMC in Detroit MI. There's another VMC in Ann Arbor MI, can't say I'm familiar with the Birmingham VMC.