Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU and Short term and long term disability

Rate this question

silverdollar22

Question

I have a question for you guys. I recently asked my PCP for a FPE(Functional Capacity Evaluation) for my job because I have come to the point where I can’t take the pain anymore (been doing my job for 20 years now).  They did their test and when I got the results it says that According to my job requirements I can’t do it anymore. I am 56 now and 80% . I turned in the paperwork and my work sent me home that day. HR gave me 3 choices. One of them was short term disability. I turned in the paperwork and am waiting on my doctors at the VA to fill it out. My question is, if approved, Should I Run with the short and long term disability and be thinking of TDIU and ssdi at this point ? I recently went to the Vocational Rehab at the VA and the counselor agreed with me that it looks like I can’t do anything! But the dilemma there is finding out if I’m even eligible for Voc Rehab. 12 years or the time of your disability. Is it your last rated disability they go by? I know that I don’t have a job anymore and all of this is driving me crazy!! Please, Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks 

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Ok, so apparently your doc says you cant work anymore.  

I dont see that you have an option, if your doc says you are unable to work anymore.  If the "reason" you are unable to work is a service connected condition(s), then yes go for tdiu.  

I dont see a downside risk of applying for short term and long term disability, since your post indicated you are not going to be working there much longer.  

You did not mention the other options they gave you.  Did they offer a severance?  

As I said, it sounds like you dont have a lot of choices here, your doc says you cant work, so it looks like you will have to hang it up.  

Its possible you can do something like start a DVOB  (Disabled Veteran owned business), especially if you can transfer some/most of the skills you already have. (And, especially your "black book" of contacts, that is, potential clients)  If you hired good people, then your disabilities may not interfere too much, especially if you can give yourself time off to go to the docs, rest, etc.  

23 minutes ago, silverdollar22 said:

I have a question for you guys. I recently asked my PCP for a FPE(Functional Capacity Evaluation) for my job because I have come to the point where I can’t take the pain anymore (been doing my job for 20 years now).  They did their test and when I got the results it says that According to my job requirements I can’t do it anymore. I am 56 now and 80% . I turned in the paperwork and my work sent me home that day. HR gave me 3 choices. One of them was short term disability. I turned in the paperwork and am waiting on my doctors at the VA to fill it out. My question is, if approved, Should I Run with the short and long term disability and be thinking of TDIU and ssdi at this point ? I recently went to the Vocational Rehab at the VA and the counselor agreed with me that it looks like I can’t do anything! But the dilemma there is finding out if I’m even eligible for Voc Rehab. 12 years or the time of your disability. Is it your last rated disability they go by? I know that I don’t have a job anymore and all of this is driving me crazy!! Please, Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks 

Who’s your former employer and what would be your earliest retirement age?  Voc Rehab from SS or VA is a dead issue at your age.  That’s just my opinion.  They won’t stop you from using it.  Should you still be eligible.  I’d recommend applying for unemployability via VA.  It will workout in your favor if you get a medical opinion stating, “You’re 50% more likely than not unable to maintain gainful employment due to the severity of your disability.”  The doctor stating further, “that your disability is permanent and total”may be a option too.

Thanks guys for replying first of all. My doctor didn’t say I was unemployable. As a matter of fact she is on leave until July 15th so I have to have another doctor fill out the paperwork for short term disability.  My psychologist is all in favor of me getting out of the workforce and said that he would do what he could to help me. My psychiatrist also said he would try to help. It was the functionality test that I did that said that I couldn’t meet the requirements for my job. Also the counselor from Voc rehab after the class and interview said that it looked like I couldn’t do any kind of work including my aerial photography side business that never even left the ground LOL! I’m a golf cart technician and any other options from that job hurts me ( like welding, standing to long isn’t an option) etc. Sitting, bending, lifting and stress are also not an option.