VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Mission Act passed

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I believe this bill will alter the VA in MANY ways- of course it will all take time-

“Lawmakers at a vote of 92-5 passed key Veterans Health Reform legislation today costing taxpayers $55 billion called S. 2372 VA Mission ACT of 2018. The bill is now on its way to the White House for signing, and the President said he would sign it.

The bill seeks to address community care to replace VA Choice, expand benefits to family caregivers, and to initiate review of VA infrastructure to shut down unnecessary facilities”

Ben Krause adds:

In part:

"The most difficult part of the bill to pass was the replacement to Veterans Choice Program. The updates remove certain hang-ups such as the 40-mile rule. Now, certain veterans can use community care if approved.

Of course, the Department of Veterans Affairs has sole purview over who does and does not get community care. Those unhappy with decisions can use the sham process of VHA Directive 1041, VA Clinical Appeals, which does not allow higher review of a decision past the VISN. The VA Healthcare system does a horrible job adjudicating appeals and often violate due process rights of veterans by ignoring evidence veterans supply in support of their claim."

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/2372

Passed the House and Senate. Current status: "Resolving differences"

Ben makes a great point:

1 hour ago, Berta said:

Of course, the Department of Veterans Affairs has sole purview over who does and does not get community care

I am hoping the Bill changes this so I can go to the doctor of my choice when I need to, but without having to wait weeks or months for the VA to authorize a limited number of visits.

11 hours ago, Berta said:

I believe this bill will alter the VA in MANY ways- of course it will all take time-

“Lawmakers at a vote of 92-5 passed key Veterans Health Reform legislation today costing taxpayers $55 billion called S. 2372 VA Mission ACT of 2018. The bill is now on its way to the White House for signing, and the President said he would sign it.

The bill seeks to address community care to replace VA Choice, expand benefits to family caregivers, and to initiate review of VA infrastructure to shut down unnecessary facilities”

Ben Krause adds:

In part:

"The most difficult part of the bill to pass was the replacement to Veterans Choice Program. The updates remove certain hang-ups such as the 40-mile rule. Now, certain veterans can use community care if approved.

Of course, the Department of Veterans Affairs has sole purview over who does and does not get community care. Those unhappy with decisions can use the sham process of VHA Directive 1041, VA Clinical Appeals, which does not allow higher review of a decision past the VISN. The VA Healthcare system does a horrible job adjudicating appeals and often violate due process rights of veterans by ignoring evidence veterans supply in support of their claim."

I wonder who "certain veterans" are. If this is ambiguous then the problem isn't resolved.

• HadIt.com Elder

Me too Vync

I just hope if I get a choice to use as a private Doc and use them, I'm not stuck with the Bill and VA backs out to pay....grrrrr

I now live more than 40 miles to the VAMC.

Edited by Buck52

I am so fortunate, I can use any facility I want to use because I also have tricare and medicare and I can  even use  Darnell Medical Center at Fort Hood. ..... I don't need permissions from anyone to go see a doctor, or a clinic  I just need to pick up the phone and call. Now there are some things I do use the VA for, Primary care , meds and from time to time I even go to a specialty clinic, but I never let the VA treat me for anything that could endanger my life. No surgeries,  and when they tell me something doesn't look right on an MRI or Xray, I always get a second opinion.  So far I have been very fortunate. Now to choice,   in my opinion the care will not be much better than the va simply because most doctors won't take it because they pay Medicare rates and because they limit the number of appointments you can make under choice.  I have used choice a few times once for respiratory rehabilitation and once for a sinus condition.  Choice also will  limit the number of appointments you can make,  requiring you to go back and get more approval.  

What I am very happy about is that now my spouse can become my paid caregiver.  I am already A&A, but my wife does so much for me that she should have been paid a long time ago.. They talk about the caregiver program was created especially for those with TBI, ( I do have a TBI), but there are other medical conditions that would warrant a paid caregiver and I am really happy that the congress has finally opened it up to all veterans of all era's.  My wife will submit her applications the same day the President signs this into law. 

It looks like the family care program is going to be phased in over a two year period, that sucks.....guess it will be a while more before my wife will be able to apply for the program.... 

Edited by Richard1954
added info

• HadIt.com Elder

I too am on Medicare but not tricare, I have part A & part B coverage and a 130 month supplemental from Omaha Mutual..  

I didn't know you can have both coverage with medicare and tricare together?

I wish I could get healthcare like that.

But I still use the VA for most of my aliments and S.C. diseases

I been having problems with the VA Dentist I use  a disagreement between me and her  and I don't want to squabble with this because the VA will always take the Dr's word and not us Veterans .

so I want to be choice out to a  good private dentist that can help me with my dental problems.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
9 hours ago, Richard1954 said:

Now there are some things I do use the VA for, Primary care , meds and from time to time I even go to a specialty clinic, but I never let the VA treat me for anything that could endanger my life. No surgeries,  and when they tell me something doesn't look right on an MRI or Xray, I always get a second opinion.

Completely agree on that. I get much of my routine care and medications from the VA, but every surgery I have had was done by non-VA professional surgeons, not med school students/residents. Experienced too many botched care problems which were not caught by the attending physician.