Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

roy talker

Question

Would like to know what are my chances of getting compensation for  sleep apnea, headaches , and sinusitis. I  was hospitalized and diagnosed with  acute respiratory disease(possible meningitis according to records) during basic training. Throughout my 4 yrs. of service i  was treated for sore throat,headaches and cold like symptons. In 2000-2003 I had surgery to remove tonsils, repair deviated septum, tube in ears twice, suffered hearing loss due to sinus fluid  pressure in ear canals, and suffered from pneumonia ,lower respiratory infections over the last 24+ years. I had sleep test done 2 years ago(diagnosed with mild sleep apnea),still have headaches,sinus infections, what are my chances of getting service connection, was denied by V A  2 yrs. ago, I filed appeal.  Can someone please give a little input? Thanks!

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

9 hours ago, Inarticulate&Distorted said:

your Claim's looking good. and as some extra info, my father has COPD, never smoked a day in his life, he was in the Fire dept from 79-83, all those chemicals they used back then are now known to be carcinogenic and caustic, get ready in another 10 years or so to file a COPD claim.

Thank"s for the supporting info, I have been dealing with headaches(2 episodes every month for the past 32 yrs),sinus (allergy)condition, lower respiratory infections every 4 yrs or so,diagnosed with sleep apnea 2 yrs ago.I GAD TEST DONE BY V A  pulmonary(test were good), but had a couple over the year's from current employer 's physical exam showing slight decrease in lung function.I have document from active duty showing when i was seen for the headaches,sore throat,  stuffy nose),also when i was hospitalized for acute respiratory disease(possible meningitis it also stated on the medical record).I also spoke with V A Environmental about my exposure to fuel ,and exhaust vapors(he blew off and told me to contact my primary physician and that they only are with Iraq&Afghan veterans who were exposed to pit burning .There are a lot of thing"s  I'm finding about now after all the year's of being out of the military, I hired an Attorney last year to help with my appeal. 

I tjink you are wise in gaining an accredited VA lawyer, they may be in it for the money, but at least you know you have a solid case if an attorney takes you on, they get nothing if you lose so they tend to be really picky. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Just a little added information for ya.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/06/21/the-withheld-hhs-study-on-base-water-contaminants-is-out-and-its-not-good/

My father is now adding his Thyroid Issues to his Claim because of this article. He was a Fireman at Grand Forks AFB from 79-83.