Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Did my C&P Exam go wrong?

Rate this question

Logarius

Question

I got scheduled to go get my C&P exam about little over a week ago. I wanted to reopen some cases for PTSD, Digestive disorders, Anxiety/Insomnia, back and shoulder issues. I show up to the VA Exam and get led into the room, to find out that the examiner is doing a Skype Interview rather than being in-person (and they are 45 minutes away). She goes over the basics for Anxiety/Insomnia, marital issues, etc. I start to try to bring up PTSD, but she brings it back to Anxiety/Insomnia category of topics to talk about. So, after about 30 minutes, she only covered that topic, and I felt a little frustrated, so I asked about going over all of my other issues which brought me into the exam like PTSD. She goes on to say "Oh, PTSD, yeah you are going to need another exam for that". So I think nothing of it until I go home and really ponder, how was a supposed to do a physical exam or anything else.

So I called the VA today to try and figure out if I will be needed back for another exam. The guy on the phone says, "yeah I see the notes from the exam and she marked you down for PTSD, Depression, Anxiety/Insomnia but there are no notes about having you come back in". So I explain that I never went over 80% of the items I came in over. I am really uncertain and not sure what I should do. 

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

So from everybody's input, I understand that no matter which forms I submit, that it doesn't matter until I get a doctor to connect a nexus to it.

So far, I have called the VA twice to try to schedule an appointment in order to do so. I was told no, you cannot schedule appointments to have your DBQ statements filled out, they have to be completed in a C&P Exam. You have to wait on the VA to schedule an appointment for you which they have nothing lined up (at all or so for the foreseeable future).

So I then asked if I could get a copy of my C&P exam which I was denied. I'll need to upgrade MyHealthy Vet to see it under the blue button because they are controlled by the VARO. 

5 hours ago, Navy4life said:

That’s your problem. You have no continuity of issues, PTSD and you have no current diagnosis. Also sounds like you don’t have the recognition of even in-service. Very tough for you to fight. 

I just received all of my documentation and files for in-service. So I have everything to go off of. 

All I want to do is meet with a doctor but can't seem to figure out how. I don't have the funds for a private physician. 

@Logarius - I read all of the above.  Secure message your primary care physician at the VA - asking for a referral appointment for Mental Health. I  was not able to get anyone to sign off on a  DBQ - at the VA - But sounds like as stated above you need your "Nexus" which is a PTSD diagnosis. ( to start) 

I was given a written diagnosis, with no problem. 

I then sought out a Independent Medical Opinion (IMO) that I paid for privately. ( $2,000) I gained that money back when my award was granted. ... 

Hope this helps. 

1 hour ago, Logarius said:

So from everybody's input, I understand that no matter which forms I submit, that it doesn't matter until I get a doctor to connect a nexus to it.

So far, I have called the VA twice to try to schedule an appointment in order to do so. I was told no, you cannot schedule appointments to have your DBQ statements filled out, they have to be completed in a C&P Exam. You have to wait on the VA to schedule an appointment for you which they have nothing lined up (at all or so for the foreseeable future).

So I then asked if I could get a copy of my C&P exam which I was denied. I'll need to upgrade MyHealthy Vet to see it under the blue button because they are controlled by the VARO. 

I just received all of my documentation and files for in-service. So I have everything to go off of. 

All I want to do is meet with a doctor but can't seem to figure out how. I don't have the funds for a private physician. 

What you need to do, is to get with the MH walk-in clinic and get yourself started with MH therapy.  Then go from there.  You can't ask the VA to fill out DBQ's for you.  You need to establish MH notes in your C-file first and foremost.  After you are evaluated with MH and get started on therapy and/or medication, then you can move forward to re-apply for service connection.  

Don't want to beat a dead horse but again, you have to have in-service MH issues, continuity of the MH issues and a current diagnosis.  Instead of worrying about the claim right now, focus on getting the MH help you need.  Again, you can go to any VA hospital and go to the MH walk-in clinic to get started.  That is how I did it years ago.

As far as your C&P exam, if the claim is closed, you can get a copy of it through your rep and if you don't have a rep, you can get it by going to VBA office in your local VA hospital and providing them the date of the exam.

You have hit on the "big problem"...you need an IMO/IME, to get your benefits, yet can not afford one.  Its an injustice of the system, that if you have the money to fork out for an IMO/IME, then you can get benefits, while if you dont have that money, you can not get them.  

I have "been there, done that".  Here are some solutions:

1.  Check your records first.  That nexus may just be there.  That one happened to me, and VA denied anyway.  Go to your VAMC and ask for a copy of all your records, then read them.  

2.  Ask your doctor.  If he wont, ask another VA doc, that is, ask to change VA docs.  Its common knowledge that VA pressures doctors to not provide a nexus.  Of course, VA will deny this, telling you its a claimant friendly Veteran favorable environment.  If you beleive them, they will then sell you some ocean front property in Kansas.  

3.  There are some attornies who may be able to work something out by upfronting you the cost of an IMO/IME.  When seeking representation, be honest and tell the attorney you dont have a nexus.  

4.  You "might" be able to find a doc that will give you a nexus for a percentage.  I think Dr. Anaise is that way..he is an attorney and a doctor, and will provide a missing nexus, if he thinks your claim is valid.  I hope I spelled his name right.  

1 minute ago, broncovet said:

You have hit on the "big problem"...you need an IMO/IME, to get your benefits, yet can not afford one.  Its an injustice of the system, that if you have the money to fork out for an IMO/IME, then you can get benefits, while if you dont have that money, you can not get them.  

Not every Veteran has to get an IMO/IME and pay for it.  A Veteran can go to the VA hospital, MH walk-in clinic and get help and have a VA doctor diagnosis him/her.  I never had to go pay for an IMO/IME but I understand some Veterans do.  

Also, I don't think the OP has a MH doctor, which is why he is having so much difficulty....

1 hour ago, Navy4life said:

Also, I don't think the OP has a MH doctor, which is why he is having so much difficulty....

Exactly.

One of the reasons why I kept getting denied. I was unemployed for 5 years after getting out of service, so I was unable to go to any appointment of any kind. 

1 hour ago, Navy4life said:

Don't want to beat a dead horse but again, you have to have in-service MH issues, continuity of the MH issues and a current diagnosis.  Instead of worrying about the claim right now, focus on getting the MH help you need.  Again, you can go to any VA hospital and go to the MH walk-in clinic to get started.  That is how I did it years ago.

Currently, I have a case that is opened under the status of "Gathering of Evidence" that is set to have a decision between 10-31-2018 and 3-18-2019. Under my in-service MH issues in my record, I have it recorded under depression, anxiety, physical assault, and other physical issues. I reported these issues, but when the Battalion Surgeon finished my paperwork while in-service, he didn't put anything else down underneath it or any testimony. My PTSD isn't listed in the in-service, but something started after service, which I'm trying to get seen for MH. It looks like I'll need to go to a walk-in clinic. I think I'm just worried about going to an appointment and getting locked up for a psychiatric hold. 

Edited by Logarius
Finished the rest of a sentence