• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sleep Apnea Claim Being Reveiwed By VA Only 1 Week After Service Connection Granted

Question

I was just recently granted service connection for sleep apnea last week.  Today, I was looking at Ebenefits and noticed my claim was being 'reviewed' by the VA.  I contacted them and they told me that is was like a 'random' review that could result in a reduction, or an increase, or no change to my benefits.  Anyone heard of this happening only 1 week after receiving your decision letter awarding service connection?  What should I do?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

listen up, there is a computer in the CPAP machine, they can call you in to "calibrate" the machine in a month or 2. they put a card in and pull the data. Ive heard of vets going to the VA and swearin

@AFVet04 I used to sell sleep monitoring equipment to doctors and hospitals...not the cpaps but the actual sleep study equipment.  Naturally I know a lot about cpaps and sleep apnea.  It is good proto

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit!

First, don't panic. Keep in mind ebenefits is known for not having the most accurate statuses. Mine said in progress for two weeks after my rating decision arrived in the mail. Consider waiting a week and then rechecking the status.

If your SA rating was based on use of a breathing device, like a CPAP, and you are compliant, then you should be ok.

Sometimes the VA proposes reduction in a rating. The VA must send you the exact reasons they propose to reduce it. After that, you are given a period of time to respond and contest it.

Also, please keep in mind that the VA can go back and review ratings. In my case, after winning an increased rating, he decision letter said I would be brought back in a year for re-eval because my "condition was expected to improve."

Here is some very brief information about the varying levels of protection. For additional details and legal-ese, please refer to the corresponding regulation:

5 years is governed by 38 CFR 3.327
Once the effective date reaches 5 years or more at the same level, it is considered stabilized.

10 years is governed by 38 CFR 3.957
It protects the SC status from being severed.

20 years is governed by 38 CFR 3.951(b)
It protects the rating level (percentage) for a disability.

If the VA deems fraud was involved, none of the above apply.

listen up, there is a computer in the CPAP machine, they can call you in to "calibrate" the machine in a month or 2. they put a card in and pull the data. Ive heard of vets going to the VA and swearing they use the machine every night, and the VA pulls the data and sees that the CPAP machine was never even used. Dont get caught short. use it . They pulled the data on mine and could tell ALOT. how long I apnea, how many times, how long I slept, ECT .

You can bet your lucky marble though, if they pull data and you arent using it, they are going to put it in your file. Sleep apnea is a claim the VA would love to see go away. I believe somebody made ALOT of money selling the VA  all of the machines.

• Like 1
  • HadIt.com Elder

@63SIERRA is correct! I have appointment where I have to bring in my card for them to review data, provide new supplies, make adjustments, etc...

The machine I received had cellular capability so they could download the data at will, but the lady at the VAMC sleep clinic said it was not enabled at that time.

If you are having any issues with the mask not fitting correctly or taking it off in the middle of the night, be sure to contact the sleep clinic as soon as you can. They tried a number of masks until I got one that works for me.

Below is the sleep apnea rating criteria. I heard a commercial on the radio about an implantable device called Aspire (or something) to help keep the airway open while sleeping. Makes me wonder if that would be considered as a "breathing assistance device"...

6847   Sleep Apnea Syndromes (Obstructive, Central, Mixed):  
Chronic respiratory failure with carbon dioxide retention or cor pulmonale, or; requires tracheostomy 100
Requires use of breathing assistance device such as continuous airway pressure (CPAP) machine 50
Persistent day-time hypersomnolence 30
Asymptomatic but with documented sleep disorder breathing 0

Thanks for your replies.......I do use my BiPAP ........I have severe health issues when I don't use it...... I just thought it was very odd to have the VA already reviewing my sleep apnea rating only 1 week after they granted service connection for it......I dunno, I guess I'll find out what is going on sooner or later.