VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Claim Being Reveiwed By VA Only 1 Week After Service Connection Granted

Rate this question

AFVet04

Question

I was just recently granted service connection for sleep apnea last week.  Today, I was looking at Ebenefits and noticed my claim was being 'reviewed' by the VA.  I contacted them and they told me that is was like a 'random' review that could result in a reduction, or an increase, or no change to my benefits.  Anyone heard of this happening only 1 week after receiving your decision letter awarding service connection?  What should I do?

@AFVet04 I used to sell sleep monitoring equipment to doctors and hospitals...not the cpaps but the actual sleep study equipment.  Naturally I know a lot about cpaps and sleep apnea.  It is good protocol to check the data after one week so the doc can decide if you need adjustment on the pap pressures especially because you are on a bipap because it’s a more severe type of apnea and a bipap is basically a mini ventilator ...it’s helping you stay alive! Not to alarm you but people die from some types of sleep apnea which the obstructed airway can cause severe lack of oxygen to the brain, heart and lungs...which I’m sure you are aware of.  A good doc would absolutely check the data after a week to see if the in and out (because bipap has both) pressures are sufficient to keep your airways open enough so you don’t die in the night and second to make sure you are using it because it’s a life saving piece of equipment.  Don’t skip a night using it even if you could only tolerate it for a few hours ...you will work up to keeping in on the entire night (there is an adjustment period) and report back to your doc all and any issues you are having as there are many many tweaks and solutions to almost any issues you may have with it.  

Yes I agree find out if your new machine have apps and install it so you can keep track for your self. 

Yes do not skip a night