Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

RAMP questions

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I will start, with some general information about RAMP.  

You may, or may not get a letter from VA asking you to opt in to RAMP.  You can still opt in anyway, by completing this form:

https://benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/docs/appeals-RAMP-Opt-in-form.pdf and sending it to the address on the form.    Currently, you have to make a choice:

1.  Higher level review.  Use this option if you dont have new evidence, but think the decision maker erred on your claim. 

2.  Supplemental claim lane.  Use this option  if you have new "relevant" evidence.  

I personally opted into RAMP about a week ago, after procrastinating a while.  Why did I do this:

My claim was from 2015.  I checked on vets.gov and there are more than 148,000 Claims ahead of me AFTER waiting 3 years.  And, my claim has "not" been certified to the Board, so that is another 773 MORE days, according to the BVA chairmans report, here:

For 2017: https://www.bva.va.gov/Chairman_Annual_Rpts.asp

This means if I stay in legacy appeals (and dont opt into RAMP), that I estimate it will take 5 or six MORE YEARS.  Waiting "another" 5 years is unacceptable to me in any circumstances.  

So, I opted into ramp against the advice of my attorney.  Why?  Because I have a reasonable chance of getting my appeal done in 125 days, that the VA promises.  The attorneys always say, "there are too many unknowns in RAMP".  Well there are at least 5 unknowns in legacy appeals:  2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022.   I would rather get denied in 2018 (so I can appeal ) than to wait until 2023, or later, and still maybe not get my benefits and still have to appeal.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Just have to wait and see if RAMP is faster than traditional process? its to early to tell? if your within in your Appeal time limit  you should be ok.

if you can get a decision in Feb 2019  that's 6 months  I'd say that is a lot faster than the normal traditional way.  if if it goes on to Sept 2019  then in my opinion the RAMP has failed , but you need to look at it this way a year is not as bad as 5 years or longer.

13 hours ago, CoastieJD said:

125 days my arse.

Looks like my RAMP case will take a lot longer than 125 days also. More like 180 to 270 days.

11/10/2018 - 02/20/2019 Estimated Completion Date.

2018-10-06 VA Decision letter

2018-07-19 VA Deposit of $ posted to account.

2018-07-06 Call from Washington, DC 1(202) 530-9000. Ask if I have any new evidence. Will get a letter out in a couple of weeks.

2018-05-29 USPS Receipt for RAMP OPT-IN ELECTION form signed by STEVEN FIELDS 

2018-05-21 CERTIFIED MAIL RECEIPT for RAMP OPT-IN ELECTION form 

2018-05-16 RAMP OPT-IN ELECTION - filled out form choosing Supplemental Claim 

2018-05-01 VA letter to opt into RAMP 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use