Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Employment

Rate this question

Ddsr

Question

I was awarded TDIU last month. Is anyone out there TDIU and working part time, or working at all? I am told I can work as long as it is under poverty level?

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

15 hours ago, vetquest said:

I was denied TDIU for nine years because the RO thought I could participate in gainful employment.  They agreed that I met the criteria but still denied TDIU on the grounds that my condition may improve.  I requested my case go to BVA but it was kept for many years at the RO through reconsiderations.  TDIU was awarded at the BVA with some stern instructions for the RO.  It sometimes appears that the BVA is the only place where evidence and CFC's are considered important.  I would not want to work and then have the RO once again think I could participate in gainful employment due to an "improvement" in my condition.

There are veterans on this board that are not lawyers, just trying to help others with the best knowledge they have.  There are other boards out there that may have raters and others who supply advice but they can be very uncomfortable work with at times.

I understand your fears. But the truth is one can work if TDIU just not make over the poverty level. And Vetquest too bad you did not get that VR Feasibility Letter from the start of your IU claim,

On this forum and others you will not find a definite conclusive answer in regards to working while on TDIU, I understand that some have the desire to do some work but you do it at your own risk, From what I've read each RO is different, some betters than others but again its a crapshoot if you decide to give it a try. Heres a thought and will try to get some answers regarding this unless someone here has an answer but I have been looking into the jobs available to veterans at the VA hospital, theres the Compensated Work Therapy Program (CWT) that I am aware of, which is geared more towards homeless veterans but if may be possible to be hired as a disabled veteran and this might be considered shelter work, I was a federal employee before I stopped working and would still like to continue contributing to my TSP account but I have to work to do that. If I learn any new information I will post it on here.

Only u can decide what is best for u and ur family bud.  U do need to understand that the VA or the Govt does not need much excuse to come after a Vet and take away our benefits.  Good luck and keep us posted.  God bless