Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Employment

Rate this question

Ddsr

Question

I was awarded TDIU last month. Is anyone out there TDIU and working part time, or working at all? I am told I can work as long as it is under poverty level?

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I would not want to be a test case for this.  I think it is ridiculous that a veteran can be 100% scheduler and still work full time, I knew a senior level VA employee that did this.  I guess some people are handled differently.  I reached 100% because I could not work anymore.  It was a long and difficult road. 

SSA - return to work program is called "Ticket" to work - You can collect SSDI - for 9 months and keep your earned wages and at the end of the 9 months you decide if you will continue to work or stay on disability. 

I am glad I posted this question. I actually already have the answer. A very known member on here has guided me from day 1 with my claim. He is very knowledgable. The answer is  YOU CAN WORK IF TDIU. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. I will post soon what GASTONE would say regarding this subject. I am also sure soon he will be responding to this post. Good luck fellow Vets and seek and research all info. Much is hearsay but the proof and facts are out there but are diamonds in the rough.

Gastone

• E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer
  •  
  • Gastone
  • Master Chief Petty Officer
  • 3,403 posts
  • Interests:Becoming proficient at retirement, Assisting Brother Nam Vets, Being a Grand Father X 6, Visual Appreciation of "ALL"
    Women and Increasing Vet Claims knowledge.
  • Service Connected Disability: 220%
  • Branch of Service: USMC BLT 1/26 9Th MAB 68/69 18 months & DONE!

Once your Rated IU, the VA promotes you attempting to return to work. Not only would it be good for your Head but you may actually be able to come off the IU Rolls.

This is the critical part, if you have Earned income above the SGI ($12,400 under 65) for (12 Consecutive Uninterrupted Months), you could find yourself up for a reduction back to your 90% Rate.  If you have to take time off due to your IU Issues or your employer has to make Special Accommodations for your SC Disabilities, you're still good to go for IU.

You don't have to go back to a job that was giving you grief, try your hand at something else. I was IU for 4 yrs, working part-time at my Self-Employment before I retired at the end of 15. A few mos later got an SC Bump for SA to 100%.

Each year you're rated IU, (up to age 70) you are required to complete a VA 21-2140 within 60 days of your IU Anniversary Date, even if you don't receive it in the mail. Failure to complete and return can put you up for a reduction back to your 90%. Be very accurate and timely in your filing. Request Verification of Receipt, why take a chance. Semper Fi

6 hours ago, Ddsr said:

I am glad I posted this question. I actually already have the answer. A very known member on here has guided me from day 1 with my claim. He is very knowledgable. The answer is  YOU CAN WORK IF TDIU. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. I will post soon what GASTONE would say regarding this subject. I am also sure soon he will be responding to this post. Good luck fellow Vets and seek and research all info. Much is hearsay but the proof and facts are out there but are diamonds in the rough.

I was denied TDIU for nine years because the RO thought I could participate in gainful employment.  They agreed that I met the criteria but still denied TDIU on the grounds that my condition may improve.  I requested my case go to BVA but it was kept for many years at the RO through reconsiderations.  TDIU was awarded at the BVA with some stern instructions for the RO.  It sometimes appears that the BVA is the only place where evidence and CFC's are considered important.  I would not want to work and then have the RO once again think I could participate in gainful employment due to an "improvement" in my condition.

There are veterans on this board that are not lawyers, just trying to help others with the best knowledge they have.  There are other boards out there that may have raters and others who supply advice but they can be very uncomfortable work with at times.