Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

I'm new to this forum, and new to applying for VA disability

Rate this question

BlazeP

Question

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum, and new to applying for VA disability. I had issues trying to register and log in, (ie: after signing up, confirming email,  Hadit error message stated email/password not in system, even though I had it saved by auto-log in. When I tried another approach by signing up again, the error stated, "email/password used by another member" Ultimate Catch 22). Anyway, I'm really not wanting to do this, so any complications, frustrations, hassles, problems... is enough for me to quit before I even start. What has helped me, is a line from a veteran who posted a reply in regards to another vet. being denied... " Persistence, and Patients" where the two words that inspired me. So with that in mind, I'm testing the waters

I would like to have some conversations with other fellow vets so I don't feel like an island out in a sea of unfamiliarity.

Not for years, but for decades, friends and therapist have said I need to file a claim with the VA. I have multiple issues, mental, emotional, physical. Even though I haven't heard confirmation, I'm sure in my heart, I'm not the only veteran who has struggled with legitimate trauma, and physical injury that has affected their quality of life, employment, relationships..., and the reluctance to have it validated due to stigma of being labeled weak. You're suppose to be a tough soldier, suck it up, keep it to yourself...  I've been doing that, like I said for decades, it isn't working for me anymore, (never really did). I'm usually the strong one, the friend everyone comes to for help, solutions, positive support... I'm hoping I've earned some karmic points, and can for once ask for help and support.

Thanks for reading my first and hopefully not my last post.

PS: not sure how this forum works once I post, do I get a email notification of replies, or do I need to periodically check my thread? If I do, how do I find this post/thread again?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

On 9/5/2018 at 9:13 PM, BlazeP said:

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum, and new to applying for VA disability. I had issues trying to register and log in, (ie: after signing up, confirming email,  Hadit error message stated email/password not in system, even though I had it saved by auto-log in. When I tried another approach by signing up again, the error stated, "email/password used by another member" Ultimate Catch 22). Anyway, I'm really not wanting to do this, so any complications, frustrations, hassles, problems... is enough for me to quit before I even start. What has helped me, is a line from a veteran who posted a reply in regards to another vet. being denied... " Persistence, and Patients" where the two words that inspired me. So with that in mind, I'm testing the waters

I would like to have some conversations with other fellow vets so I don't feel like an island out in a sea of unfamiliarity.

Not for years, but for decades, friends and therapist have said I need to file a claim with the VA. I have multiple issues, mental, emotional, physical. Even though I haven't heard confirmation, I'm sure in my heart, I'm not the only veteran who has struggled with legitimate trauma, and physical injury that has affected their quality of life, employment, relationships..., and the reluctance to have it validated due to stigma of being labeled weak. You're suppose to be a tough soldier, suck it up, keep it to yourself...  I've been doing that, like I said for decades, it isn't working for me anymore, (never really did). I'm usually the strong one, the friend everyone comes to for help, solutions, positive support... I'm hoping I've earned some karmic points, and can for once ask for help and support.

Thanks for reading my first and hopefully not my last post.

PS: not sure how this forum works once I post, do I get a email notification of replies, or do I need to periodically check my thread? If I do, how do I find this post/thread again?

Welcome to the forum!

Persistence and Patience are key to helping yourself. 

You mentioned the trauma you witnessed and physical injury that occurred, I imagine, in-service. It sounds like you've been suffering from symptoms of  PTSD for decades, as you alluded to. 

You stated you are usually the strong one, don't worry you don't have to be anymore. Only we veterans know what we've gone through, therefore you will get the unconditional support that you need from other fellow veterans. 

Allow me to tell you my story:

I tried to deal with my issues on my own and guess what? It didn't friggin work out either. 

It took almost losing my 2nd wife and our son for me to seek help from the VA for PTSD. 

I went untreated for about 10 years before I asked for the help. I was only service-connected with 10% PTSD and 10% L Knee pain. I thought that was it and that was that. 

Yet, I was experiencing more serious symptoms of PTSD. In 2007 when I got out, I was a freaking train wreck, I had just gotten a divorce from my first wife, I drank myself to oblivion on a number of occasions, my  parents and other family members didn't know what to do with me, I was bouncing around from family and friends places, I vividly had nightmares of my trauma, I'd isolate myself, I was withdrawn. I contemplated committing suicide on a number of occasions. I just wanted to die so I didn't have to deal with my crap and I didn't want anyone to have to deal with me.

How I managed to stay employed was beyond me. I bounced around from job to job because I couldn't deal with how annoying civilians are alot of the times. You get the idea.

So, long story short. I went to my local VA and began my journey to help myself. By no means, is the VA perfect, but the treatment I received, literally saved my life.

If you are not already service-connected for PTSD or another mental disorder, physical condition/disorder, then here is what you will need to do.

1. Go to the nearest VA facility and ask a front desk clerk if you can  speak to a patient advocate. Tell the patient advocate you are seeking help becoming a patient there.

2. When you go through the process, you will be assigned a Primary Care Provider. When you go; there are alot of questions that will be asked, so be prepared to take a copy of any medical records, xrays, MRIs, CT scans, Lab Results from your private doctor or doctors. If you happen to have been fortunate enough to obtain a copy of your Service Medical Record it's best to bring that too. This will help your Primary Care Dr. address any chronic illnesses. It will help the dr. point you in the right direction. I would advise to address the most important issue first, which it sounds like it is going to be symptoms of PTSD or another mental disorder (I'm not a doctor, so I can't make any diagnosis.) This is all educational information for you to use at your convenience.

3. You can learn more about PTSD here if it is determined by a professional mental health doctor you have it. https://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/index.asp

4. If it is determined you and are diagnosed with PTSD or another mental disorder, you will need to start the paper trail for about 1-3 years. The goal is to build clear and unmistakable medical evidence for when you decide to make a claim for PTSD. I know 1-3 years seems like a long time, but like any Vet that has battled the VA Ratings Schedulars  and Appeals and got a claim granted; medical evidence is the key component to any claim. You will also need to do your homework for what you are trying to claim. 

5. Post-Service Claims:

If you were not service connected for any condition after your discharge? To DIRECT-SERVICE CONNECT there are three requirements-

1. A documented in-service event. From my understanding, service records, medical records, and what's is called lay evidence; such as, Buddy Statements that confirm the in-service event qualify to substantiate your claim.

2. A current disability of what occurred in-service.

3. A nexus of opinion. A "competent medical doctor" can only provide a link to service-connection of the disability being claimed. Basically, the doctor must say that your disability developed because of military service and a rationale must be included. (We can go in depth at a later time, if you would like.)

This is alot to process so, take your time. Remember "Persistence and Patience".

Welcome to hadit.  I do not get emails everytime someone responds to one of my posts.  Its not necessary for me.  Most people who join hadit do a lot of reading..and most find someone in a similar situation willing to discuss it.  

I refused to apply for VA benefits for decades, then when I did, its taken "forever" to get my benefits.  I wish I would have applied earlier.  

The military loves young people because their minds are still forming opinions, and they dont reject much of what the military tells us, like we do.  Pretty much, once you get to be over 50, the military kicks you out.  You have gotten wise enough to know that all the military discipline is not necessary, and even counter productive.  

You see kids putting on camo gear and "playing war", and idolizing troops.  The reality is, when you do go into the military, you are sometimes faced with the reality of taking another persons life based on this person being in the military from a different country.    This inner conflict..where the sanctity of human life conflicts  with the goals of military might, is often internalized leading to PTSD, Veteran suicide, and much more.  The Roman battles were very bloody and brutal, and there is no doubt that innocent civilians were sometimes "collateral damage", just like they have been in our wars.  

I spoke with a Veteran who I will not name who seemed to think even God would not forgive him for actual compliance with the military and causing the death of human beings.  While this philosophy is NOT expressed in the Bible, in fact, Jesus spoke very highly of the Centurion, I sympathize with his plight.  A Roman Centurion, was a leader over 100 men in battle, and, got that title in no small part with the blood of many a foe on his sword.  

Matthew 8 tells the story of the Centurion who had asked Jesus to heal one of his men.  I dont dispute the apparent conflict between "Thou shall not kill" and Matthew 8, with Jesus knowing that the Centurions sword had taken many lives.  Many simply can not comprehend his grace and forgiveness which is so big it enables forgiveness even of sins "We" consider to be unpardonable.  Jesus can forgive, but many times we do not.  His extreme forgiveness is not the only miracle Jesus performed.  

On 9/5/2018 at 7:13 PM, BlazeP said:

'm new to this forum, and new to applying for VA disability.

Hello BlazeP and welcome

I too am new to this forum, but not new to the VA cluster-ducking hamster wheel.

I want to say first and foremost, on this site with all these Vets you are as anonymous as you want to be and everyone here knows to the marrow of their bones the feeling that asking for help makes you weak.

It doesn't (make you weak) but it takes many of us a long while to come to that realization. Often making our own situation worse by trying to "manly" or "strong" looking in our own eyes.

Blaze, post your story, or as much as you are comfortable sharing with strangers. Ask your questions. Ask for help. Learn the screen names of the wise elders on here and seek their opinions on any issue you have va related. Some of the elders are crabby, crass, and down right abrupt, others are confident and don't always include details a newbie might not know, such as terms and acronyms. What they all have in common is a real desire to help others, share their knowledge, and support other veterans on the path and just entering the path of VA disability claims and processes.

First things first, since this is your first claim I highly recommend that before you have a Compensation and Pension (C&P) exam, you learn what the Disability Benefits Questionnaire (DBQ) says constitutes being rated for that claim. What you say to your C&P doctor and what you say to anyone in the VA who is providing care is evidence, for or against your claim. If you try and put a fresh bright face on things when you talk to these people you are saying to the raters that you are handling things and don't need VA help. 

When asked by them or the C&P doc to describe an incident or condition, always describe the worst, most painful, most frequent, etc situation/problem or you give them the impression you don't need that much help.

The DBQ's are on the VA website https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/dbq_disabilityexams.asp

third paragraph gives you the options of how to look for the right DBQ

I also recommend you look at Veterans Law Blog by Chris Attig and in particular several books/training he has for sale, https://www.veteranslawblog.org/shop/

Attig is well known on this site and frequently you will see posts and essays from his site on here. It is important to know the lingo of the VA, and how to properly fill out the forms, include lay evidence (stuff not from doctors), and what laws affect what in the VA system.

There is a lot of information but the more you know the better prepared you become to be your own best advocate. Veterans often make mistakes in their claims that can harm and or delay the claim. we often accept the wrong answers from the VARO as being the final decision, which they frequently are not.  Sometimes we get so freaking done with the barriers we just give up. This only harms us, not the VA, they often could care less what happens to us and only care if the paperwork meets their personal interpretation of what it needs to be.

Just so you won't feel unique below is some of my story.. Please note this stuff is not posted for others to write books or articles about, it is about our own lives and no one should think they have the right to re-post or publish our information or stories without explicit written permission from the veteran or veterans spouse who posts it.

My own story starts with the Military, the base doctors and my entire command telling me to "man up" and that if they document my complaints/treat me, they will be forced to kick me out and I would not be eligible for VA benefits despite my ribbons, medals, and evals including my multiple 'i didn't get caught' medals A.K.A Good Conduct Medals.

In short I got out because I knew beyond a doubt I was becoming a danger to others and myself. Not by design, intention, or some sense of retribution/revenge, and not because Jodie the Pig was telling me to,  but because I was becoming erratic in thought and behavior in every day things. My job was dangerous to begin with and a simple mistake could kill someone else.

This was decades ago, long before the VA got smacked by their negligent and intentional actions that killed veterans, and long before the multiple times VA was smacked for shredding Veterans claims, files and documents. PTSD was a Johnny Carson joke not a documented medical condition during these years.

From my discharge date until I finally got rated I had tried to get help at 12 different VAMC's and or RO's (regional offices) and was denied at all of them for almost thirty years. I had VA's tell me, with my DD214 in hand, that I was never in the service, that I had never visited them, had never applied for help, etc etc etc Pick an excuse, craft a lie and the VA told me something similar.

Not to blow my own horn, but I am one of those smart guys, a geeks geek, and I figured out a way to structure my work life so that I could earn money and stash it for when things went south on me. It was not easy by any means and I had no personal life to speak of.

Right out of the military (after VA Jax rejected me), in my first deep dive into crazy, I walked away from a house that I owed less than 5 grand on, a year old truck that i owned outright, a small business I ran on the side to keep myself busy when off duty, and 50K in unsecured credit with a 760 credit score, and went to live in a Mexican Desert cave for 18 months. Rats are not tasty, but lizards and snakes are. I did not aim for Mexico or a cave, but that is where I ended up feeling safe and was able to control my environment long enough for my demons to calm down. 

When I left the desert to return to the real world I figured out, with the help of friends who knew the situation, that I could operate my own company and work as a contractor for geek stuff on time limited contracts. With help from friends, but not the VA, I arranged my life so I would work as hard as I could for a long as I could and then take what I called really long vacations. This way I did not get a bad work reputation and had resources when I came back from those "vacations", which were mainly in swamps, deserts and or cold water shacks in the High Desert. This went on for years and worked for the most part, but my social world shrank to nothing as friends moved away or moved on from me. Forget relationships, they were not possible. Anyone I loved became part of my night terrors and I watching the flesh melt from their bodies on a nightly basis was too much for me so I finally stopped trying to have relationships.

i lived through Hurricane Katrina and that messed me up more, and when I was finally getting over that Hurricane Issac smacked me again.

Finally the VA, with the help of a VSO from American Legion who I met in a line waiting for FEMA help applications, took me in, rated me at 70% PTSD and began offering help.

Their idea of help was Seroquel (sp?) Depakote, and lots more drugs. A range of "baby" MSW's (all half my age and right out of college before trying to get a PhD) all thought that telling me to put it in the past (meaning the VA's refusal to help me) but to "talk about it" was what I needed to do. They were wrong and were frankly shocked that when I talk about things I get angry, very very angry. Go Figure that they took it personal....it is personal to me but the baby msw's were only concerned with their own feelings. 

I am now rated 100% P&T PTSD plus a couple other things. Not enough to live on but at least it is an income stream when life gets squirrely on me.

I am old, fat, am pre-diabetic, hypertension stage 1, have anxiety and am rated as bipolar as part of my PTSD... and those are the high points. The other things get depressing.

I am also still trying and will until I die or get wrapped in an 'i love me jacket' and stuffed into a rubber room for the rest of my life.

Keep posting, keep asking, Welcome.

Hello Sir,

Just want to say that you do not want to give up too easily.  The VA will give you plenty of reason to give up, a lot of veterans do and do not get the benefits they deserve.  I was discharged out of service as convenience of the government for a disability that was not considered a disability, a real catch-22.  I was denied benefits outright when I first applied.  I was retired five years after I was separated from service after fighting with the Board of Correction of Naval records, the VA at that point rated me at 50%.  I worked for twenty-five years before I lost my job to my disability and it took ten years from then to reach 100%.  You really need to look at fighting the VA as a hobby, or else it might drive you crazy.  Stay the course and don't let the jerks get you down.