VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

athletic heart syndrome

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I suppose it could be service connected provided you have the usual 3 caluza elements, along with symptoms.  

Remember, even if you are diagnosed with something, but you have no symptoms, the best possible outcome you could have is a rating at 0 percent.  More likely, if you have no symptoms, the VA just denies it.  

Edited by broncovet

Hopefully this is listed in your service medical records.  At the least you should be able to apply for in service aggravation.  Without it being noted in your service records it is a long shot unless you can get a doctor to write a very strong IMO.  I was rated for neuropathy related to my in service injuries twenty years after the fact .  A doctor wrote an IMO that my injures could lead to neuropathy and medical literature noted this, and that it took years to develop.  Without something like this if it is not in your service records it would be a long shot. 

It's my husband's brother, also a Marine. He just recently had to get heart bypass surgery. the doctor told him that his heart was only working at about 50% but may improve due to the surgery. they said he will get a treadmill test in a few months. but the doctor said some of his heart issues (enlarged and hardened heart tissue) are due to athletic heart syndrome from being a marathon runner in the Marines. They aren't sure his heart is permanently damaged or not until his future treadmill and some time. He also has tinnitus and worked around aircraft and bomb ordnance. he also lives in Asia, so is unable to go to the VA   

Edited by Vet Dog and wife
add info

I would try to have his doctor write a letter stating that it is at least as likely as not that the heart condition is related to his military service.  Also have the doctor fill out a dbq for heart conditions

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/dbq_ListByDBQFormName.as

I would also have him request heart disability and tinnuitus.  File using form VA 21-526EZ.

https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-526EZ-ARE.pdf  

I would then have him read how to submit by registered mail at 

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/apply.asp

Good luck and let us know how this works out.