VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mr.

Rate this question

cwatson

Question

I was diagnosed with a degenerative condition in 1990. In 2007 the VAMC's MRI diagnosed me with a DDD or IVDS in my thoracolumbar spine with Sciatica in 2008.

In 2014 I was diagnosed with IVDS cervical spinal stenosis all of the way into my upper thoracic spine at T1. I suffer with peripheral neuropathy or radiating pain in both hands and in 2015 my private doctors indicated that I have loss my balance (imbalance) because of the cervical nerve compressions.

I am having a difficult time rating my lower back as 5237-5243 and do the Sciatica separately and the cervical Spinal Stenosis separately with the nerve issues separately, or what?

I have found a rating under nerves for my imbalance, because I cannot stand erect on my own unsupported to be measured. I have been classified unable to work by the SSA in 2001 and the VA retrieved that information in 2015. I asked for a TDIU this year again.

I am looking at higher than 100% for my entire back injury after two helicopter crashes. Am I ridiculous? 

3 answers to this question

Many Vets get higher than 100 percent.  If you get 100 percent, plus an additional 60 percent (combined), seperate and distinct from each other, you qualify for 100 percent plus SMC S, which is about an additional 354 per month.  

You can also get additional compensation if you have loss of use.

Remember, the va doesn’t care how jacked up your back is! I have 7 herniated disks in my lumbar region with no disk left at L5-S1. Its all about ROM(range of motion)!!! I receive 10% for my lumbar region since 1998. I’ve tried for an increase over the years with no increase. You can claim ricopathy ( or how ever it’s spelled) in both extremity separately. I get 20% for each leg. I also think that you can claim sciatica separately. DDD and IVDS are very different claims. IVDS is very hard to get rated because of the bed rest thing. DDD is what ,in my opinion, you should claim! Remember though, ROM is the defining factor for any type of back injury! And as far as I can remember the max you can receive for IVDS is 60% if you’re entire back is fused. DDD is 40% without the back being immovable.

Edited by silverdollar22

Thanks for the suggestion.

The ROM is my biggest problem. I went an examiner for her to take measurements, except I cannot stand on my own without assistance (wheelchair, walker or rollator). As far as my w/c I cannot let go of the armrest or stand up erect. The nerve compression in my neck has caused an imbalance issue.