VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Happy Veterans Day!!!!

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Happy Veterans Day to all of you!!!!

I can never thank you enough for your service!

I saw a brief few moments, this AM of this special:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/11/09/modern-warriors-rob-oneill-marcus-luttrell-dakota-meyer-sean-parnell-veterans-day-special

What a line up! Cant wait to see it-  PM Fox News Channel 360 (Directv)

This might be the first Veterans day in 30 years that I do not put all of my flags out- it is snowing here .The flags can handle the snow but if the wind kicks up, I hesitate to put them out.  

Then again us high altitude New Yorkers say- if you dont like the weather, wait ten minutes and it might completely change.

It did Saturday- Sun and blue sky in the West and rain and dark thunderclouds in the east.I went through 4 different weather systems in 20 minutes on the main highway.

Enjoy this day everyone!

4 answers to this question

Thank you, Berta.  When I was in service, in the mid 70s, I was at the airport, in uniform, going to my next duty station.  I heard a couple people yell, "Boooo".   You see, there was a new report where troops napalmed a family and a girl ran out of there, her family killed, and she was crying.  So it was thought we killed civilians, because they saw it on TV!   

As Alex pointed out, for a long time the VFW thought VN Vets were "not real" Vets, that was reserved for WW2 Vets.  However, when the WW2 Vets started dying off, all of the sudden, they changed their tune and decided to "allow" Vets who were in a "undeclared" war.  

Around 67,000 Vets lost their lives in Vietnam, Iraq was closer to 5000.  I am saddened by an apparent "generational cival war" between the various wars.  The VA does its best to proliferate that, for example, VN Vets were not part of a recent assistance plan for severely disabled Vets (caregivers).  

Thanks Bertha.  Broncovet, I served in the longest peace time the USMC has ever seen.  I was disabled out of service due to a line of duty injury.  I have been told I am not a real disabled vet because I did not serve in war time.

Vetquest...Last I checked, we did not decide "when" we were born, our parents pretty much decided that.  So, its not your fault there was no war going on when you turned 18 or whenever you went into the service.  Even if there was a war going on, and you were not sent there (like me), this decision of who to send to war, and who not to, was made by others.  They sometimes call it "survivors guilt"..that others died, but you did not.  

When we trained in the military, the number one goal of training was "not to get killed".  And now, because you accomplished this, the VA wants to make you feel bad about that.  

Fortunately, we have a choice whether or not to allow others to make us feel bad.  They can not make us feel bad about ourselves WITHOUT our permission.  I suggest you "deny" the VA permission to make you feel bad, and let them file a NOD and you can decide wether or not to review that decision de novo.  

Thanks Berta,

This is my last Veterans day that I will have had to work.  For the last 10 years, and many before that, I have worked every 4th of July, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving and most if not all Christmas's.  I do work New Years Eve too, when all the morons come out.  All at night, hell I'm working right now.  LOL.

I will be retiring in February.  

Too much going on with people right now and I'm tired.  I ain't what it used to be.  The other night I cut the noose out of the rafters of an attempted suicide (not a veteran, thank God), and it wasn't a big deal anymore.  Just got done with that call and then had a mother of six overdose on heroin, Percocet and booze.  A repeat offender.  At least they took her kids away the last time.  

Let some younger person have a chance to save the world. 

I'll take care of my beautiful wife now and enjoy my grand kids.

I'm the luckiest person in the world,

Hamslice

Thanks to everyone on this site who takes the time to try and help other Veterans.  I know I try.