VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Advise on VSO to Assist with NOD

Rate this question

Galen Rogers

Question

Hello all. I need to file a NOD on my claim decision. My current VSO (Virginia Veterans Services Office) seems less than enthusiastic. She is definitely not proactive. I had to nudge every step of the way on filing my claim. I have seen articles on the internet stating I should get a very knowledgeable VSO to help me with the NOD and that it should be very detailed on what I disagree with. Then there are other articles that say not to go into the actual details of why I disagree and to just say I disagree with the decision and want to appeal.

So I have two questions.

1. I'm here in Northern VA up by D.C. and need some recommendations on accredited VSO's that can and will help me fill out and file my NOD (if needed).

2. Should I go into great detail of what I disagree with or just that I disagree and want to appeal?

I really don't want to sink the ship before it sails. 🙂

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Both the DAV and American Legion have VSO's that may be able to help you with an NOD.  Check with these organizations and see if they are willing to help.  If not you can do it yourself here.  You will be given advice and we could check your NOD out before you send it.

I think, when you write a good nod (remember they have to be on the specific form nowadays), you should "refute" the reasons and bases for denial.  

Example:  While the VA denied because "there was no evidence this disease was caused by service", Dr. xyz stated, in an exam 20 Sept 2014, stated this was at least as likely as not caused by military service.   etc.