Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Exam for Mental Health

Rate this question

NeedHelpFastPlease

Question

I served in the Army and got out in 2010. I was granted a 70% rating for adjustment disorder. My doctors have been suggesting I try to get it increased to 100%, so I've started that process.

I did a DBQ with my psychiatrist and took it to the DAV. He said it looked good and I shouldn't have an issue getting to 100%.

Now the VA is calling me for a C&P exam at a hospital I've never been to, to see a doctor I've never met and I'm beyond horrified. I have to go to this appointment in 2 hours and I'm shaking in my office scared to leave the house. I'm terrified they're going to lower my rating or deny my claim.

I don't know what to do. I don't know what to expect. I don't know what to say. Can anyone help me? Give me some advice at all? I'm so xxxxxxx scared.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't miss this exam...period.

if your Dr said you meet the 100% criteria for PTSD and your 70% now   you need to take the evidence you have that makes you meet the 100% criteria,  this Dr examiner should have your evidence  but take it just in case he don't.

but for sure do not miss this C&P Exam.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

you don't know what to say? at the exam?  

Well just answer the questions honestly and do your best to get through it , if your jittery and nervous and your anxiety is through the roof  just tell the examiner your having an anxiety attact  he should understand and expect that....because you have a bad ass Diseases 

My examiner mention to me she has read my records and won't be asking me about my stressors or put me through all that again.  I said Thank You,

.I did get emotional letting her know the greif and misery I put my family through. That hits home to me pretty hard and still does.

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

It's not that I don't know what to say I'm afraid I'm going to freeze up in there it took me years to get comfortable with my doctors and my NSO said you have to be open and honest but I'm too scared to be open I can't stop crying I don't want to go but I can't back out now he said I just want to stay home I have no one to help me

• HadIt.com Elder

If your married get your spouse to go with you  usually the eaminers will let them in and its good for them to go with you to help support you...not sure if a G/F or just a good friend can go   that's up to the examiners.

And its ok to cry  it just shows your  honesty and your  sincere 

You never had a C&P for your already 70%??  just do as they ask    Normally a good examiner will see how you are and just read off the computer your evidence and such and if he/she has a Question for you they will ask...you just answer it the best and honestly  as you can..these exams are not that bad...you should get through it ok

I read the C&P exam report and I'm more terrified now than ever.

It was less than 30 minutes long, I barely got any information out during that time as I was under duress, and now reading the report she checked the block for 50% :  

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity

Does this mean they can actually LOWER my rating instead of raising it?  If my psychiatrist checked total impairment but the CP exam differs, what happens now?  I feel like it's guaranteed I'll get denied now and maybe even reduced which would devastate me completely.

Am I going to be okay?

She is not supposed to mark a rating for you.  The doctor fills out the documentation and then the rater decides your rating.  If you truly do get reduced to 50% you are entitled to appeal and you would present your evidence of a 100% disability with the appeal.  If there are two doctors opinions the BVA will most likely go with the more serious one.  Let's wait for the SOC before you get too riled up.  If it is a reduction you appeal and go to the BVA.