Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Exam for Mental Health

Rate this question

NeedHelpFastPlease

Question

I served in the Army and got out in 2010. I was granted a 70% rating for adjustment disorder. My doctors have been suggesting I try to get it increased to 100%, so I've started that process.

I did a DBQ with my psychiatrist and took it to the DAV. He said it looked good and I shouldn't have an issue getting to 100%.

Now the VA is calling me for a C&P exam at a hospital I've never been to, to see a doctor I've never met and I'm beyond horrified. I have to go to this appointment in 2 hours and I'm shaking in my office scared to leave the house. I'm terrified they're going to lower my rating or deny my claim.

I don't know what to do. I don't know what to expect. I don't know what to say. Can anyone help me? Give me some advice at all? I'm so xxxxxxx scared.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Was " she" a real MH doctor?

Have you googled her name to see what qualifications she has to opine on a MH disability?

Yes, you can appeal and go to the BVA or contact a real (non VA) MH doctor for an IMO.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

2 hours ago, Berta said:

Was " she" a real MH doctor?

Have you googled her name to see what qualifications she has to opine on a MH disability?

Yes, you can appeal and go to the BVA or contact a real (non VA) MH doctor for an IMO.

so we can request a non-VA MH doctor to do the C&P MH exam?

The OP is referring to the C&P exam box that was checked for Occupational and Social Impairment.  The C&P exam is just one component of the entire claim.  You will need to wait to see the end result of the claim.  

What are you currently rated for regarding your MH %?

US Navy Desert Storm Veteran
Proudly served my Country!!! :biggrin:

1 minute ago, NeedHelpFastPlease said:

I am currently at 70% for MH

Okay, so unless they have found significant improvement you won't be reduced because of one C&P exam.  Your MH therapy records, along with the C&P exam will be reviewed.  I wouldn't put too much into just the one factor of the Occupational and social impairment box that was checked.  The entire C&P exam is taken into factor.  Do you have a copy of it you can redact personal information and post here?

You have to keep in mind, anytime you file for an increase, you do risk the chance of a decrease.  Remember this...if they propose a reduction, you can fight it.  

Right now you are 70% and getting to 100% is a very difficult task.  

part-4-graphic-1.jpg

US Navy Desert Storm Veteran
Proudly served my Country!!! :biggrin:

• HadIt.com Elder

It don't sound to good for you to get an increase.?

.if you do get a reduction in benefits from 70%  back to 50%  because this examiner check the boxes that would find you at 50%?

the Examiner must not read ALL your evidence  if you had a Dr' letter saying you were 100% or you figure that your symptoms were 100% but the opinion from that Dr  opinion that mention why you were 100%  you need to Appeal this decision and send in your new evidence that says your symptoms are 100%

Remember they rate  the PTDS MH from your symptoms 

They can't reduce your benefits just based on this exam...especially if you have the evidence that shows you should be increase / or stay at the 70%...unless that rating was not correct and this examiner caught it?

you can ask for a DRO Hearing  but if you have the evidence that would warrant the 100% by your symptoms you need to get that sent in asap.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!