VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C and P hypeetension

Rate this question

Gbing

Question

I submitted a few years worth of 140/100ish from private doctors and the Detroit VA. The Detroit VA said I need to be and prescribed me lisinopril for my BP. I had my c and p exam and the doctor gave me two 120/80 readings. Impossible. I've never had perfect BP, even on meds. I went home and it was 140/90.  I filed a dro appeal. Anyone have experience with this? I guess I'm saying... All of a sudden it's perfect at the exam?! 

Edited by Gbing
Clarity

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

It was perfect for these vets:

I am not saying Detroit manipulates the data in this alarming IG report but you should request a new C & P-use that IG report to reflect why you feel you have a legitimate concern.

And/or call the White House Veterans Hot Line:

1-855-948-2311

Do you take daily HBP readings at home and document them? That is always a good way to show what your HBP is, over a period of time.

I see it that you have 2 ways to refute this:

1.  Get an IMO/IME with more accurate blood pressure readings.  

2.  Challenge the blood pressure readings, that is dispute your medical records.  You have a right to do this under 38 cfr 1.579

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/1.579#

I just had a hypertension increase C&P on Friday.  I know I will not get an increase, but I wanted to get in the record my original readings from 2004 when I had an LOD (line of duty) while on active duty which led to my service connection for HBP.

With that said, I had quite a discussion with the examiner.  My issue is, while the VA might do it, medical facilities, both military and civilian do not take your blood pressure three time on two separate occasions as stated in the rating reg.  When I had my first high reading in 04, the Army nurse had me rest for 5 minutes and took again, still high and recorded it, once.  Then the LOD.  I was sent to a civilian doc, who's nurse took my BP with a high reading and then took it again on the other arm, and then documented my BP once.  The doc came in and he took my BP and it was high.  The bottom line is I may have had my BP checked more that once (3 times at one location), but they only record the one reading for the visit.  So, again, it is unreal to expect anyone other than the VA to check 3 BP times in a row and record it accordingly.

I did claim HBP and at the C&P exam in 04, the examiner did take my BP three times in a row, however, this was after taking  medicine for 3 months and so by then it was good.

Now, on Friday, the examiner did take my blood pressure at least three times, once before and once after the exam and with both arms both times.  It was mildly high, but not enough for compensation.

I did tell her, that the way the VA plays, I should just stop taking my meds for a couple months and get readings 3 times on 2 seperate days to meet the requirements and she said don't do that.  I told her I was kidding, but she did see my point.  She did tell me she had a diabetic not take his meds to get a more favorable rating.  She did not tell me how that panned out for that Veteran.

Just a stupid rule,

Hamslice