Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diabetes as a Secondary Condition

Rate this question

KansasNavy

Question

Can Diabetes be secondary to another condition? I was just diagnosed with Diabetes at 53 which I think is kind of young.  I am not overweight or sedentary and eat fairly healthy I think.  I was awarded a service condition for severe anemia as well as an RBB heart condition.  I am going to the Dr. to discuss my options as far as treatment, and plan to ask if something else could have caused the Diabetes.  I retired 4 years ago and out of the blue it shows up.  I don't understand all the blood work numbers in my military records or what they mean.  Is it possible that there were signs of Diabetes in the service, but never caught by a doctor?  I plan to ask the Doctor to help me understand, but thought someone here at Hadit might have dealt with Diabetes years later.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

One more question-are you a VA Patient?

If so do you have a complete copy of your VA medical records?

Is it possible that there were signs of Diabetes in the service, but never caught by a doctor? "

That is possible, as I mentioned in a local vet's case.But if this does not show up in your SMRs, you do need a copy of your VA medical records.

Cholestrol counts have a alot to do with DMII- and seek the TriGlyerides counts in your blood work.

My last TriGlyeride count was 84. My husband's VA med recs revealed them at almost 300 - 

And see if they ever did any HBIAC tests =those results will be in the blood work, as well.

Google can be a big help in understanding medical acronyms and blood work.

Also- do you have Type One or Type two- there is a difference:

https://www.healthline.com/health/difference-between-type-1-and-type-2-diabetes#symptoms

DMII is Diabetes mellitus, and that is what the AO presumptive is for.

And where my DMII knowledge is from- I don't know what DM Type one is-

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

Boy howdy Ms Berta  sometimes I think when you post you should have been a'

'Dr  Veteran Adjudicator ''   you have educated your self enough to make a fine Dr Mam.

your explanations are very helpful.

All us Veterans are very very fortunate to have you help us here on Hadit.

And I know they all are very glad to recieve your much needed  information .

Thanks for all you do.

Thank you as well Buck-

When I FTCAed the VA, no lawyer would help me and I had no idea how to even get an IMO.

I did all of  the legal and medical work myself.

This was pre internet as we know it now- no Google- and it all took a lot of time and research, but- this might sound odd-

my FTCA case was the easiest claim I ever had with the VA.

That is because VA OGC lawyers know how to read and all lawyers live for Evidence!

I also had worked for a law firm long ago ( nothing I learned there  helped with my FTCA case-(they were wills, estates, and trust lawyers) but I learned how to deal with lawyers.And as the OGC lawyer told me, I had been "too tough".

TRUE.But the OGC holds the SMART people at VA, and they are far easier to deal with than the incompetent people we have at the VAROs. They know VA case law and regs in and out.

Unfortunately I have filed a OAWB complaint against them regarding a critical error they made in my FTCA case-and they have made the same error since ( per GAO) in other FTCA settlements.It is being investigated-among other things I complained about- with evidence.

Thank you for all of the comments.  RBB is right bundle branch block.  it sounds like I need to study up on endocrinology.  I don't really understand what it means to have Diabetes or how its about to change my life.  I have a Dr appointment with the PCM to discuss my new treatment plan.