VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA narcotics weening all vets?

Rate this question

max87

Question

Today I asked the VA pharmacy if this was True or False: VA is weening all Veterans off all controlled substances. and so for me that meant the psychiatrist is FORBIDDEN (by law) ftom prescribing benzodiapines. 

I was told: TRUE. by that it was a Directive, and as far as the written Directive...nobody can cite it. One said it changes. Another said this was TRUE for at least two states... I forgot the first, maybe Ohio? by the second was where I am, Florida. That person also added: we follow whchever law is strictest, Fed or state.

Here's the deal, my deal: Ii want to research the POLICY, so WHERE IS IT?!!! BECAUSE as a patient/Vet I demand REAL answers. Nobody seems to know where I CAN READ THE POLICY. In other words, some VA Dr says they are NOT ALLOWED TO DO ______; great, but, SHOW ME HOW YOU KNOW THAT. ...hopefully so i can read it, stay abreast and PROACTIVE IN MY CARE.

--do NOT tell me: you fee l my pain. #1 I am not seekng any of these drugs..., only the KNOWLEDGE of what you are to be pullng out of your butt without forthcoming and full explanation. don't talk, show.

Any help is appreciated.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

It’s a directive that’s 100 pages.  It talks about how wean and low to go.  The directive says it’s goal is 90 mg of something.  I take 5mg and they are trying to get me off of my 5 mgs.  I have the directive but I can’t find it.  Search for narcotic directive.  At the Tampa VA you have to go to medical records to get a copy.

4 minutes ago, ruby said:

It’s a directive that’s 100 pages.  It talks about how wean and low to go.  The directive says it’s goal is 90 mg of something.  I take 5mg and they are trying to get me off of my 5 mgs.  I have the directive but I can’t find it.  Search for narcotic directive.  At the Tampa VA you have to go to medical records to get a copy.

Thank you very much, ruby.

The bottom line is these are PRESCRIPTION drugs, and your doctor has "discretion" as to whether or not to prescribe the drugs and to whom.  Its my opinion that you get "more flies with honey" than with vinegar.  So, if you want the doc to prescibe "x" medication, it would be in your best interest to cooperate with him fully.  

Assuming you are not a physician, you probably need not concern yourself with the doc's rules.  My suggestion is you simply ask the doc.  If he says no, its your option to persue another doc, or, maybe heed his advice and try something else.  

44 minutes ago, broncovet said:

The bottom line is these are PRESCRIPTION drugs, and your doctor has "discretion" as to whether or not to prescribe the drugs and to whom.  Its my opinion that you get "more flies with honey" than with vinegar.  So, if you want the doc to prescibe "x" medication, it would be in your best interest to cooperate with him fully.  

Assuming you are not a physician, you probably need not concern yourself with the doc's rules.  My suggestion is you simply ask the doc.  If he says no, its your option to persue another doc, or, maybe heed his advice and try something else.  

My concern has ZERO to do with any particular drug or drugs. My concern is only the psychiatrist LIED to the patient, when he said, regarding Clonazepam: “It is a controlled Substance that by VA policy, is no longer available.” and, “Yes you will find thousands of Veterans on controlled substances, Klonopin just being one of them. They are all being weaned off as directed by the federal government. The FDA to be exact.”

To which I replied: “What law/reg/policy forbids you prescribing Klonopin? Specifically, so I can look it up and read it myself.“ 

To which he responded, after his previous reply invoking “FDA” and “VA policy,”

he then replied: “PDR.”

I replied: “What page?” Because is just mot even funny.  The PDR has no such information about VA policy. 

His next  message stated that I had harassed him and I had been reported to the appropriate authorities and that there will be consequences. 

Thanks

Edited by max87

If you are unhappy with the psychiatrist, then seek a new one..ask for a change.  As far as "VA policies", there is a fair amount of discretion the doc has in prescibing meds.  The doc may have been
"exercising his discretion" and 
"may" have viewed you as a "drug seeker".  Of course, I was not there and have no idea, except "pure speculation" , based on what you posted.  You are infinately more qualified to assess that situation than I am.  If you are not a drug seeker, then please blame me.  If you are a drug seeker, then get applicable help.  

Further, I can not answer for this doc., however, docs sometimes withold information from patients as some of them cant handle the truth.  

Edited by broncovet

4 hours ago, broncovet said:

If you are unhappy with the psychiatrist, then seek a new one..ask for a change.  As far as "VA policies", there is a fair amount of discretion the doc has in prescibing meds.  The doc may have been
"exercising his discretion" and 
"may" have viewed you as a "drug seeker".  Of course, I was not there and have no idea, except "pure speculation" , based on what you posted.  You are infinately more qualified to assess that situation than I am.  If you are not a drug seeker, then please blame me.  If you are a drug seeker, then get applicable help.  

Yes, no that isn't me. Nor was he my psychiatrist. Weird. 

Further, I can not answer for this doc., however, docs sometimes withold information from patients as some of them cant handle the truth.  

And that is all I'm interested in. Not his ridiculous dragged out over 6 weeks obfuscation.

Again, 1)  he wrote that he was FORBIDDEN to prescribe a particular medication. DOESN'T matter what, he's an MD. 2) He claimed: FDA/VA POLICY... then 3 weeks later PDR. 

He should simply have written one reply to request for citation, eg, "I don't know."

D'UH.

As opposed to HARRASSING a VA patient.

Now let me ask you:

True or False:

1) All Vets are being weened off narcotics (controlled substances). 

2) VA Drs psychiatrist are forbidden from prescribing Benozdiapines. 

3) The above is by order of FDA and VA policy.

4) The above policy can be found in the PDR (Physician's Desk Reference).

The question was asked on a date ~6 weeks before receiving, and finally on the question/request for citation: "PDR."

Now, if you read the thread, do you think those questions have been answered?

Edited by max87