VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD/MST INSIGHT

Rate this question

Army Soldier

Question

I just need some insight on what else is need for me to file my claim and win. I have a PTSD and DEPRESSION diagnosis. I have stressors and I have a nexus from a psychologist. My problem was I had no evidence. I was told to get support letters which I have. What else do I need?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Whoa!  You posted you had "stressors and a nexus."  You also posted you had a diagnosis.  That makes up the 3 Caluza elements you need to win.  

Beyond this, you need documentation of "symptoms" for a rating.  

You should "not" need support letters if you have "stressors", (documented), "nexus" and a diagnosis, but they probably wont hurt you tho.  

Have you ordered your cfile and do you KNOW what is Documented in your file?  Or are you guessing what you think is in there?  

Lots and lots of times stuff we think is in our files is nowhere to be found.  

I agree with Broncovet, ( still trying to figure out how to to tag), support letters won’t hurt but, with everything you stated. That should be enough for a claim to be decided.

28 minutes ago, Army Soldier said:

My problem was I had no evidence.

All VA claims for Benefits need 3 elements known as the Caluzza Triangle.

You need an diagnosis of the disability, an in service stressor and the nexus between the two.

The evidence is the event in service that caused the harm.

you did not mention what that event was.

Since you mention MST we might assume you experienced a sexual assault in Service. No one here will ask you to share intimate details of that event.

It is common for MST victims to not have reported the event. It is also fairly common for them to have told someone who was close to them.

You will have to have / get your C-file and look at your Military Treatment records, performance evaluations, and if you did report then a copy of that report.

If you have someone, say a family member or other person not in the military, who you told about the event at or near the time, then a buddy letter from them will help.

There is an MST forum on here and those folks may have some solid advice for you.

I will say please keep seeking any counseling you need to make sure you are handling the residuals of any such attack. For most/many victims of MST those residuals can last a lifetime. However you and only you can decide if you are going to let the attacker re-harm you for the rest of your life.

Edited by GeekySquid

I also didn’t have any evidence. Which is the reason this has been so complicated. I reported it to CQ who in turn told the drill sergeant who was involved. I suffered retaliation and I never spoke of it again. I was ashamed and feared more retaliation.