Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P results

Rate this question

Mover1993

Question

Good morning everyone, 

I had my c&p exam for "Anxiety secondary to tinnitus" and I think it is favorable. If you all dont mind helping me decipher what my rating might be?  Thanks everyone

Box 3a Occupational and Social Impairment 

[X] Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity

Box 3

X] Depressed mood

[X] Anxiety

[X] Panic attacks more than once a week
 [X] Chronic sleep impairment

[X] Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions or recent events

[X] Impaired judgment

[X] Impaired abstract thinking

[X] Disturbances of motivation and mood

[X] Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships

[X] Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or a worklike setting

[X] Inability to establish and maintain effective relationships

[X] Suicidal ideation

REMARKS

- Indicate type of exam for which opinion has been requested: Mental Disorders TYPE OF MEDICAL OPINION PROVIDED: [ MEDICAL OPINION FOR SECONDARY SERVICE CONNECTION ]

a. The condition claimed is at least as likely as not (50% or greater probability) proximately due to or the result of the Veteran's service connected condition.

c. Rationale: Veteran's Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attacks and Adjustment Disorder with Mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood are at least as likely as not (50 percent or greater probability) proximately due to or the result of the Veteran's service connected tinnitus. Veteran is currently 10% SC for Tinnitus. His interview today clearly highlights his preoccupation and distress over his tinnitus and his fears he will continue to always experience "ringing in his ears," which he connects to his Panic attacks, anxiety and depressed mood.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

It looks good for service connection.  He stated the magic words of at least as likely as not.  The schedule of rating disorders is below:

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school,family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation;obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical,obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively;impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships......................                          70                  

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in       understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining      effective work and social relationships...........                                                                                            50       

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood,  anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events)...........................................                                              30   

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled by continuous medication...............                                                                                                           10

A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication.....................                       0

It looks good for your rating.  His statement matches a 50% rating if he puts in the other key information.  Good luck and let us know how it works out.

I am service connected for bipolar and PTS, which includes panic attacks with agoraphobia,  which are both quite severe and fought tooth and nail to be rated at 70% for mental health  this is a very good CP exam for secondary anxiety from tinnitus.

1 hour ago, Mover1993 said:

Thank you for the reply. Do you have any guesses as to which I'll be rated? I'm guessing 50%

I never guess what the VA is going to do..............they have screwed me over enough when I have been told they can't do this or that so yeah....until I see it in black and white I believe nothing.  I have had a favorable exam and then had a rater say not service connected.  I have had an examiner say something is absolutely horrible and rated at 60% according to their exam then state it isn't service connected because of x, y and z and then have it over turned by the rater.  The VA is a hot mess of inconsistent exams, ratings and sadly we are the ones who have to deal with it.  Hopefully you will get at least what you expect and not have to fight and the news shouldn't be too long if you already have the exam records.  Best of luck, keep us posted!

3 hours ago, vetquest said:

It looks good for service connection.  He stated the magic words of at least as likely as not.  The schedule of rating disorders is below:

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school,family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation;obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical,obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively;impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships......................                          70                  

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in       understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining      effective work and social relationships...........                                                                                            50       

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood,  anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events)...........................................                                              30   

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled by continuous medication...............                                                                                                           10

A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication.....................                       0

It looks good for your rating.  His statement matches a 50% rating if he puts in the other key information.  Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Thanks for the reply,

I understand the box 3a normally is associated with the rating but I have quite a few symptoms that belong to the 70% range, is there a chance they could rate me 70?

15 minutes ago, seminoles said:

I am service connected for bipolar and PTS, which includes panic attacks with agoraphobia,  which are both quite severe and fought tooth and nail to be rated at 70% for mental health  this is a very good CP exam for secondary anxiety from tinnitus.

Thank you for the reply. Do you have any guesses as to which I'll be rated? I'm guessing 50%