VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Medical Center Dental Care follow up?

Rate this question

BillHoo

Question

I'm a national guard member/retiree and OIF veteran who went to my VA Medical Center and got the one time dental care after deployment.

During treatment where they removed a wisdom tooth, I think they fractured the adjacent upper molar.  I could hear the dentist commenting it was hard to pull the tooth and they used some kind of wrench levered against my molar and I heard it crack.  A week later, while eating cake, a corner of that molar chipped off.  I went back and they sealed the molar with epoxy. 

A few months later, the root to another nearby tooth cracked and they performed a dental implant. (a two-year oral surgery procedure)

That was 11 years ago.  Never had the need to go back to that clinic.  Although I retired from the guard as a gray area retiree a few years ago with 25 years service, I am not yet fully retired to collect.  I'll be 60 in a few more years.

Can I go back to the VA dental clinic to get follow up car for the teeth they worked on? 

The epoxy seal on that chipped molar has fallen off a couple times in the last 10 years and usually I just go to my private civilian dentist to re-seal out of pocket/insurance.  The implant has been doing fairly well, but I notice a little soreness as of late.

Since they worked on those teeth, is the VA responsible to do follow up care for the lifetime of those teeth?

Edited by BillHoo

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know much about dental claims, but if you are injured and it is s-c, I don't know why you should be able to get it fixed. Put in a claim. The records were at a VA facility, so the system has the records (or should have.) Why not file; what will you lose?

• HadIt.com Elder

Veterans need to be 100% service connected or IU   to get  in the V A  Dental Clinics....you can see the VA Dental Clinic Manager And request a consult  to pay for the work they do.

I don't think  your length of service with the Guard will get you in the V.A. Dental Clinic.

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck you probably are right, but if it is s-c, why wouldn't he be able to get repair work? I understand about being 100%, but we are talking about a continuation of VA medical work, not regular routine dental care.

• HadIt.com Elder

GB

As I Understand  its a one time dental care after deployment, if the VA is at fault here ?if they messed up his teeth  then he may need to file 1151 claim (mal-practice) and may can get VA Dental care?? if this happen while he was in military ...I'll research it.

https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/35277/va-compensation-who-is-eligible/

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks, Buck. I believe he is saying the VA did a bad job and they own the problem because it was poor workmanship. They are allowed now a one time visit for dental when they get out.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I agree GB!!!!