Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Increased rating

Rate this question

gabwp

Question

Good morning all my brothers and sisters!

I'm a newbie here, so I apologize in advance if my question is redundant.

I reopened by SC claims and yesterday they upped me to 70% from my 50%.  Yay me!  Getting closer to that magic number.  

Anyway, on ebenefits and under disability, the list shows 7/10/2010 (the date I opened the claim) and 8/13/2019 (the date of the C&P exams) as the effective date.  My question is:  Is that the date that they base payment on?  

I was expecting retro on the shoulder since they said is was SC is 2000, but rated it at 0% at the time.  FYI, all these disabilities were rated to the date I got out, 8/25/1990 back in 2000.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.  I know if I waited for my packet, it will all be explained.  But....  Yeah.  LOL

Gabwp (Dawn)

Rated Disabilities

Disability Rating Decision Related To Effective Date
limited motion of the temporomandibular articulation 30% Service Connected   07/10/2019
cellulitis of face and neck to include streptococcal infection of face and neck   Not Service Connected    
right thumb disorder   Not Service Connected    
bilateral hearing loss   Not Service Connected    
residuals of hepatitis   Not Service Connected    
neuroma of the right wrist   Not Service Connected    
De Quervain's syndrome, right wrist and hand with osteoporosis 40% Service Connected   12/01/2004

right shoulder tenderness

20% Service Connected   07/10/2019
asthma   Not Service Connected    
right arm disorder   Not Service Connected    
chondromalacia of left knee 10% Service Connected   08/13/2019

Hello again,

You all hit the nail on the head.  The effective date was the date I opened the claim, 7/10/2019.  So, my next question is, will I see any extra money because of that effective date?  I got my new rate of pay 9/1/2019, but I'm thinking (I know, that's dangerous!) that I should see an extra deposit to cover the time period between the new effective date 7/10/2019 and 9/1/2019, minus my old rate of pay?  

Also, I'm filing a supplemental claim because the MRIs on my right shoulder and left knee show the true damage minus the x-ray they used to decide the increase.  I figure that's probably a waste, but hell, time's free.

Thanks all!

gabwp

• HadIt.com Elder

If you submitted a claim  and won, the effective date is the date you submitted. In your case July 10 is the effective date. But for financial stuff, which  is what we are really interested in,  it doesn't start the money clock until the first of the next month,  August 1. But you don't get a check until the following month, Sep 1, which is when your new combined rating will show up in your checking or savings account. You may get the back pay , August with that first deposit, or not. But like you said, you should be gettin comp from the 7-10-19 date. If it wasn't, you can call finance and ask them. It would be the difference between your old rate and the new. Even if it is pretty simple math, it can take 3-4 months to get it.

Thanks for the response GBArmy!

One more and I swear I'll be done.  I hope.  

I sent in my supplemental claim info to DAV last week via email.  I am not seeing Ebenefits updated with an open claim as of yet.  I should, right?  I should be able to see all open claims in EBenefits/VA.gov, correct?   I

Thanks much!

gabwp

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes you should, but then you may have read here that the VA is very delinquent sometimes on timeliness of updates, or their accuracy, for that matter. It will show up. If you sent it by email, if you can use ebenefits, you can also submit it there; don't worry if it ends up being in your file more than once. You can also ask the DAV to down load it, if you are using them. They should have a copy anyway.