VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Rated And Going Back On Active Duty... Implications?

Rate this question

B 2/75

Question

Howdy, folks.

I've searched for any info on this topic, but am bringing up a blank, and I'm hoping to be able to start a discussion on the topic and glean some useful information, as I know of quite a few folks out here who are in a similar boat as mine.

I'm an Army guy with 29 years of service, 15 active, 14 reserve. I'm still in, as regular drilling reservist. I'm also 80% combined, 70 for PTSD and 10 for frostbite.

Last year I tried to go on a tour of Extended Active Duty at my unit. Everything went well as the package was routed from office to office. The Command Surgeon signed off with an OK after I had been seen by both an Army Dr. and an Air Force Dr: both of them gave me a thumbs up as good to go. Unfortunately, when the package got to the Chief of Staff's office, it was killed. The rather lame excuse I got was along the lines of "The Army can't interfere with a VA bennie"

I've got another opportunity for a tour of AD. I don't think that this command will kill the application (a bit less testosterone in the second command) and I'd like to try and find out what implications are involved.

I know that it is a simple single page form to fillout with the VA to suspend payments. This has to happen... you can't get both.

But, will the VA give me any grief about doing yet another tour?

There is a high probability that If I do go back onto AD I'll have to go back into Iraq and likely Afghanistan too, for short 30 day trips.

Ideas?

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am having trouble understanding how you are rated at 70% for PTSD and still a drilling reservist let alone going back on active duty. You are right, technically it is a matter of just filling out a form, but if I was the one who received it at the VA I would wonder how someone with PTSD that is so severe could function in the military

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank you for your service but I cannot understand how a reservist with a 70% PTSD rating would be sent on a Combat Tour. Perhaps you could explain more.

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm with them, total amazement they are even considering it. You are aware that when you come back they can do aniother C&P and reduce your rating, although I am happy to see that you think your PTSD is in "remission" enough to allow you to go into a combat zone again.

Believe me, getting rated wasn't something I wanted.

Within a month of my return home in Mar 04, I was seriously suicidal. Was working out scenarios where I'd be gone but the insurances would pay off for the accidental death. I also had some anxiety and rage issues going on. Went to the VA clinic in town and the rest is history.

Meds and hard work have gotten me (just about) back to normal.

As a reservist I've always had a decent civilian job. I've still got it, although I'm no longer the "fair-haired golden boy" of the organization. My job performance DID suffer some.

Why am I still in the reserves? Perhaps because nobody has kicked me out, and they certainly know that I'm VA rated. Also maybe because I don't want to hang up the spurs quite yet. As a matter of fact, the VA doc I've been seeing put into his clinical notes the entry that "This soldier would best be served by a return to active duy, a treatment far better than any regimen of pharmacological agents I could offer." As a matter of fact, that entry, along with the two mil docs who have seen me, are the primary basis for me wanting to continue to be at it. I suppose if I can still function then I can still be used as cannon fodder?

Is there a glossary somewhere? What is a C+P? In reading through other threads you guys use a bunch of acronyms and jargon that are completely alien to me.

Regards

B

• Founder

this may help http://www.hadit.com/glossary.htm

as the others i am totally amazed they would even consider sending you back to active duty it just seems 70% for pstd rating is incompatible with military service, it sure would seem they would have to lower you to 0% to even consider letting you back in and i not enitrely sure how this would effect a future claim of ptsd it certainly presents an interesting question.

There is a search button at the bottom left of the forum menu- put acronyms or glossary into this and it should help you---

I too never heard of anything like this since the Carl Brasher incident-

Brasher was the inspiration for Men of Honor with Cuba Gooding-

a great movie but the story is true and Brasher went through alot to return to active duty as a diver after he had lost his leg---

This is most unusual to me that the Mil would consider you for active duty.

Edited by Berta