Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% ptsd .. can I qualify for Homebound or SMC

Rate this question

MCveteran1

Question

There may be more than you think.  A single condition rated at 100% is hard to get.  A TDIU that is considered to be the one condition you cannot work is much easier.  

14 minutes ago, vetquest said:

There may be more than you think. 

you may be right. It just seems, on the surface at least, to be a rarefied combination. It would be interesting to me to see the actual numbers. I know the va won't release those, but it would be interesting.

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

In other words  when a Vet gets IU awarded  it is usually under the 100% scheduler .

IU is all about giving the vet 100% pay when his sc disability don't meet the 100%scheduler  and he is actually under the 100% 

so to help the vet this is why IU came about   ...he is under the scheduler 100% because his s.c. disabilitys do not add up to100%scheduler  but the veteran can't work or do the work he was trained to do because of the s.c. disability/disability's

so when /if the veteran has shown his disability he  is receiving for the IU   is increase  to the 100%  then his IU can become moot.

if he has another separate disability from his original condition that he was awarded the IU for  this other new separate S.C. Condition is rated 60% or higher  then he can get the SMC S. 

AND FOR FURTHER INCREASES OR HIS CONDITIONS WORSENS  HE CAN CLIMB THE SMC LATTER. DEPENDING ON HOW SEVERE HIS CONDITION'S ARE AND RATHER OR NOT THESE CONDITIONS PREVENTS THE VETERAN FROM HELPING HIM SELF WITH EVERYDAY LIVING  OR HE NEEDS ASSISTANT TO HELP HIM WITH HIS EVERYDAY LIVING  THE VETERAN MUST PROVE THIS.

I was in this exact situation, I was rated IU PT, and then awarded an addition rating for a new service connected condition completely which was rated at 60% and was denied the SMC S.  St. Pete has absolutely no idea what they are doing.  The entire reason I had opened a claim to begin with was for A & A.    laughable really, idiots

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

so when /if the veteran has shown his disability he  is receiving for the IU   is increase  to the 100%  then his IU can become moot.

Sorry, but unless the va actually revokes a TDIU it is not moot,  I have a 100%  rating  for my Lungs , effective in Feb 2007, and a TDIU for my  60% back rating   effective May 1999.  In fact,  On occasion I still  get the form to fill out stating I am not working even thought with my 100% rating I could legally work.

2 minutes ago, Richard1954 said:

On occasion I still  get the form to fill out stating I am not working even thought with my 100% rating I could legally work.

this is the operative question.

If, because of the legal requirement to maximize benefits and Bradley v. Peake, a vet is "kept" at the TDIU rating despite a condition rated at a Schedular 100%, is the VA still monitoring them for the income limitations under TDIU regulations?

applicable logic says that if the TDIU is being maintained then employment is still limited. Bradely is silent on that issue as far as I can tell.

The work requirement is the main distinction between TDIU and Schedular that directly impacts veterans. I certainly understand why the limit exists. What is unclear, to me, in context to Bradley is what does the VA do in this situation if they find a veteran working with "both" those ratings.

29 minutes ago, vetquest said:

There may be more than you think.  A single condition rated at 100% is hard to get.  A TDIU that is considered to be the one condition you cannot work is much easier.  

I guess that is a matter of opinion , I don't think either one was harder than the other to get.. in fact in my case both were actually easy to get  all you have to do is meet the requirements..

In my case I have a 100% rating for one medical issue

and I have additional compensation when combined also comes to  over 100% without the separate 100% rating mentioned above

TDIU  was easy as well since I have a back injury at 60% and I was forced to medically retire from Civil Service.....

Now I can state if you have a 100% rating for one issue ( like me)  which I would rather not have the rating because this means I have a very serious medical issue.

I will say that it is possible that there are more vets with TDIU than 100% , but only because you usually have to have a  very serious medical condition to get a single   100% rating.....Perhaps this is what you meant?