VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VARO tomorow. Tips? First Claim, VSO, I.D. (DEERS) what am I missing?

Rate this question

ToxicSgt73

Question

I would appreciate any planning tips, putting together my plan of attack for tomorrow. 

1)  I have a list of things to bring already, any must brings? 

2) I have  a list of things to accomplish, what am I missing? 

a) VA ID Card,  and the verification needed for (DEERS?) so that I can enter a claim in ebenefits. at the RO.

What else can I accomplish at the RO?

b) VSO, look them over, talk to one or all, maybe choose one to work with on my first claim. 

3) Should I call either the RO or the VSO groups that are there to make appointment or just walk in? 

What questions should I ask the VSO? 

I haven't been to one of these RO before, its almost 4 hours away, I want to make this trip count.  Any suggestions to add to my list? 

I plan on filing first claim for 1) tinnitus 2) hearing loss 3) deformed toenail (military medical procedure). Plan is 20% Not much to debate on these SC. Most likely choose a VSO to work with so I can be 'more' likely to learn enough to submit my real claim after.  And maybe I will fly through the process with these, and maybe I won't. But, one way or another, I will either have filed initial claim before I leave the RO or will have the last tool necessary to do it myself online.

My first VAMC appointment is next week, if anyone has any tips for that visit, I am preparing for it, gathering up my medical history (was a work in progress as I have been doing so to work on big claim). Any must do's and don'ts ? 

Making progress, a step at a time.

Received my OMPF and STR 'EXCERPT'....

A stack of separation CYA some of it straight from the source. 

My entrance and my exit form of my check offs was there, funny how 3 years on the flight line improved my hearing, and how I was magically deaf in one ear and didn't know it when I enlisted. I found it strange I had an exit physical, signed and dated a day before the date of the physical appointment, when I have a copy of a waived exit physical in my possession, that stuffed in my training records that were given to me when I separated.  

The only medical record in my file I requested was a summary created as an exit physical. Strange it does just about cover everything at about 40k feet, I am sure not good enough for much at the VA claims window. And then that one unreadable ECG, but it is there. Dental records, of a sort. But not one doctor visit, not one sick call. Nothing about putting me on amphetamines. My surgery is summarized as a treatment with residuals. 

Question: 

Is this the representative file sent from St. Louis on the first pass? 

It says to reference the case number that was sent to you and now you get to ask again for the whole file. 'minus' the in hospital medical records' 

Question: 

Would an outpatient surgery likely be filed and stored as a 'Clinical Record' instead of a STR? I know, if it even exists. Probably so lucky to have what I have so far.

Does anyone on the Board have any experience with medical records from treatment at Lowry AFB as a tech school student? Or at Lackland when in Basic? I should have medical records that are pertinent to my claim from both bases. I am pursueing on my own, just asking.

Not claim related, but first appointment at VAMC on Weds morning, should be interesting, I don't have a clue what I am in for. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
On 9/12/2019 at 1:31 AM, ToxicSgt73 said:

Vync, 

I made sure I didn't overstay my welcome, there sure was a lot of people who wanted my autograph?

I decided if I was going to go with a VSO, maybe one who Vets are willing to wait 4 weeks for an appt (to be accepted or not) and for me to drive 3 hours to find out,  is probably better than one who always has time (I know I could be wrong). 

•  I filed Intent to File with VA. 
  • I was 'proofed' by the VA, so I can now sign into eBenefits.
  • I POA'd. State Veterans Affairs. AL
  • I have a lot of work to do in the next few weeks. 

and for some reason, the State wanted me to pick out a hole in the ground? 

Getting proofed for ebenefits is good. You'll also be able to access the my health VA web site too.

With the number of VSO options out there, you might think back to the old disclaimer that goes something like "there is no guarantee that the quality of one representative will be better than other representatives". I just hope that the one you chose turns out to be one of the good ones.

I also use Alabama state for my VSO. I have have some good and not so good experiences with them. The bad experience was when I initially got out in 1995. The county rep filed a single sentence shotgun claim and said the VA had people that get paid to go through everything. Found out that was not entirely correct because I won my initial claims by showing the VA what they missed. They are helpful though. I filed Chapter 35 and Alabama GI Bill for my dependents through them and both were approved the first try.

Ironically, they did not ask me where I wanted to be buried, but I'm probably going to be dropped into the national cemetery at Montevallo at some point.

13 hours ago, ToxicSgt73 said:

Question: 

Is this the representative file sent from St. Louis on the first pass? 

It says to reference the case number that was sent to you and now you get to ask again for the whole file. 'minus' the in hospital medical records'

Might be. Depending on when you served, you might be able to get your records directly from St. Louis. I served from 90-95, so I had to go through the VAMC release of information office to get my medical records. Also, I recommend requesting a copy of your claims file from the VARO. I found that each had some records that the other did not. Providing the missing records helped make one of my claims.

13 hours ago, ToxicSgt73 said:

Question: 

Would an outpatient surgery likely be filed and stored as a 'Clinical Record' instead of a STR? I know, if it even exists. Probably so lucky to have what I have so far.

Does anyone on the Board have any experience with medical records from treatment at Lowry AFB as a tech school student? Or at Lackland when in Basic? I should have medical records that are pertinent to my claim from both bases. I am pursueing on my own, just asking.

If you spent the night, the records may be stored at the treating hospital. My outpatient surgery records were stored as part of my STRs. Well, I only had one surgery in the Army and that is where I found it.

Vync, 

On the State VSO, I really just have need for somebody to tell me I am still in now, but, I don't want a yes man, either. I am not there yet, anyway, I have to wait those 4 weeks to us to interview each other, as I understand this one doesn't just accept anything either.  So, unless I have a match, I will be back to doing on my own. 

According to the chart, my records should be at St. Louis. So, its my only option right now. I don't have a C-File for compensation, as I understand it, not with an Intent to File only.  I do have a file, but the only things in it are the education and mortage claims, I looked at the screen at the VARO. So, I guess technically, I do have a C-File, and I saw it. 

I will be building my blog, with my claims journey.  It will show at least my progress or lack of it on a timeline, and then I intend to share some of the research I have on toxic Conus bases, and exposures.