• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

ToxicSgt73

VARO tomorow. Tips? First Claim, VSO, I.D. (DEERS) what am I missing?

Question

I would appreciate any planning tips, putting together my plan of attack for tomorrow. 

1)  I have a list of things to bring already, any must brings? 

2) I have  a list of things to accomplish, what am I missing? 

a) VA ID Card,  and the verification needed for (DEERS?) so that I can enter a claim in ebenefits. at the RO.

What else can I accomplish at the RO?

b) VSO, look them over, talk to one or all, maybe choose one to work with on my first claim. 

3) Should I call either the RO or the VSO groups that are there to make appointment or just walk in? 

What questions should I ask the VSO? 

I haven't been to one of these RO before, its almost 4 hours away, I want to make this trip count.  Any suggestions to add to my list? 

I plan on filing first claim for 1) tinnitus 2) hearing loss 3) deformed toenail (military medical procedure). Plan is 20% Not much to debate on these SC. Most likely choose a VSO to work with so I can be 'more' likely to learn enough to submit my real claim after.  And maybe I will fly through the process with these, and maybe I won't. But, one way or another, I will either have filed initial claim before I leave the RO or will have the last tool necessary to do it myself online.

My first VAMC appointment is next week, if anyone has any tips for that visit, I am preparing for it, gathering up my medical history (was a work in progress as I have been doing so to work on big claim). Any must do's and don'ts ? 

The VARO has offices from various veterans service organizations, like DAV, VFW, etc... Not sure which ones have offices at your location. I learned that the DAV at my VARO was open Mon-Thurs and I arrived on a Friday.

The VSOs can help you get started on your claims. You might even have a VSO rep closer to where you live. Here in Alabama, I have used the DAV at the VAMC and also the state/county VSO reps. Feel free to visit all the VSOs if you want or have timeyou may have to sign in and wait. Just remember, some organizations like VFW will only represent veterans who meet certain criteria. Not sure if they will answer general questions, but assume they probably will to some degree. 

Regardless of where they are, jst remember they stay busy. They can help you by filling out the claims forms and reviewing your material. Just keep in mind that some of them can be minimalists. Don't expect them to go through every page of your files and look for all possible claims you can file. it does sound like you are on the right path. You have a plan and an idea of what you want to file which is a good start.

At the VAMC, you might have to go through the eligibility office (if you have not already). They will get you into the system and make a VA ID card. Not sure if the VARO can give you a VA ID card or not. 

if you go back to the main hadit.com page, there are a lot of resources to help you learn more about the ins and outs of the system. Don't hesitate to ask questions, but try to be specific.

If you post any scanned documents or type/copy/paste text from your personal records, be sure to redact/black out any private details.

good luck on your visit tomorrow!

• Like 1

Vnyc has given you good advice.  Please do not hand over any original copies of your records, you will never see them again.

• Like 2

Vnyc, 

thanks, good point about these folks that I will be seeing will be busy, and not to waste their time. I am always as concise as I can be in person, as the stakes for me, are pretty high, and have been for a very long time. That is why I over prepare.

I know what I want to ask them, thanks to researching here and other places. 

And I know what I want to accomplish at RO, that is reason for the trip. 

I received two referrals for 'special' agents, we will see.

Looks like I have two interviews to do I believe I have enough general info to accomplish this phase of the plan. 

I know I can't get anyone to do the legwork for me, I know its the veterans job to dig it all up and to know what they want from it.  I want to find someone who knows what they are looking at, after I put it together and they will see more than just a stack of paper (even if it is a digital stack). And someone who is not going to dessert me after the first submit button is pressed. I want to see a track record, and something complex that they have been involved in, and know that they stick with the claim, like beans on rice, and will communicate at the right times, if I can't find something close to those specs, I will wing it. 

I appreciate all of you letting me sharpen my tools a bit, or a least, remove a few burrs. 

And 

VetQuest, 

no worry about the originals, got that message loud and clear.....

• Like 1

I just posted VA Fast Letter 10-35 in this thread:

https://community.hadit.com/topic/76019-personal-account-feedback/#comments

The VA is supposed to apply it when dealing with Tinnitus and Hearing Loss claims.

There are two links- the first one has the MOS list with it, and your MOS might well put you into an obvious tinnitus category. So you certainly should claim the tinnitus and HL.

You mentioned other issues in past posts but those issues will need to conform to the Caluza Triangle, that Broncovet so often mentions here- because it is the key to gaining VA compensation for most veterans.

Just for fun I googled' Broncovet Caluza Triangle hadit.com ' and over 200 links popped up-

I am so glad he brings this up often here because it is the essence of most compensation awards.

Hopefully you will get your SMRs soon. And I hope they are legible.

I dealt with some very old handwritten 1960 SMRs many years ago, it took me three weeks to decifer them.

Unfortunately the veteran had been to BVA and the CAVC twice by then but his lawyers never ever attempted to read the SMRs.  I prepared  an assessment of my lay findings in his SMRs as to the disability he had, that VA kept denying,for his private doctor  and the doctor (an expert in the field of his disability)prepared a free IMO for him and he won.

Vet reps wont take the time to find evidence in SMRs of a potential nexus, and apparently neither will some lawyers, he had two who didn't, and none of us here really have the time that can take, but you sound very capable of doing this yourself-and you did mention other potential SC disabilities but we do not know what they are.

Nexus is Everything. Nexus is the documented cause, injury, stressor, etc etc that had led to a disability you have now, with no other etiology or cause, but for your service.

• Like 2

Yes, Berta, I do repeat myself on the Caluza Triangle.    I dont think its possible to overemphasize the Caluza Triangle (aka Caluza elements) when appealing Vets claims.  Its pretty simple, really:

1.  Get all 3 Caluza elements documented (current diagnosis, in service event, and nexus) or get denied.  

2.  There is no number 2.  

I repeat myself because, I see, over and over, Vets persuing SC when they have one or more missing or weak Caluza elements.    If people learned to search, they could find the answers, but most love the personal touch of having their question answered, "not just" someone else's question even in it would apply to them.  

Edited by broncovet