VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Archives Has Lost My Administrative Records? What Next?

Rate this question

Josephine

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi All.

I was told by the AMC that they needed a complete copy of my administrative records.

They told me to go on line and have them sent to me and then send them to them.

I did this in July of 2006 and again in September of 2006.

Well. behold, now the AMC wants a copy directly from the archives sent to them electonically and without them passing through my hands.

Well, I found out today that the AMC received notice from the archives that my administrative records are lost.

The guy at the AMC told me to call the Archives and see what they told me.

I talked to the lady at the Archives and she confirmed they are lost and are flagged and the Archives will send the AMC a copy when and if they show up, if they show up!

What do I do now?

Is there a reason why The AMC cannot use the copies that I received from the archives and sent to them?

Does anyone have any suggestions for me.

Do I just call it quits on this claim and forget it and consider one not to be won?

Thanks,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have learned from personal experience that if I fax I call and erify receipt of fax. For me I was faxing documents to Oklahoma RO and when I called was told that the fax machine had been broken for over a month. It gave the indication that a fax was receoved but in fact the VA never saw anything.

• HadIt.com Elder
I have learned from personal experience that if I fax I call and erify receipt of fax. For me I was faxing documents to Oklahoma RO and when I called was told that the fax machine had been broken for over a month. It gave the indication that a fax was receoved but in fact the VA never saw anything.

Pete,

I found out this afternoon, when I talked to one of the superviors at the AMC. The two copies that I sent to the AMC didn't make it into my file, as I had been told.

Some guy upstairs had told me that he had the two copies of all personnel records. Not true, someone trashed them.

My instructions per the supervisor are to fax to her personally my copies again of the complete administrative records and then to call and her and she will let me know immediatly if they arrived.

I talked to the archives and gave them the name of the technician that had possession of those records Septemeber 18, 2006 and told them to go and ask him where he put them.

She stated, the technicians " always" place the records back in their proper place. I told her, Well then they must not be lost. She said she had filled out papers for a search for them.

To my knowledge the AMC is to proceed with my claim upon receipt of the faxed records and go to the rating section within the next 30 days.

This will give me time to get the IMO in to them. They told me to fax it to them. I could drive them to Washington, as they are only about a 4 hour drive, but have been told, that I could not be assured that the correct section would receive them.

Don't know how to figure this one.

I thought I would fax the IMO and then mail it certified, bonafied and verfied and notarized.

Have I left anything out?

Thanks, Pete,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder
Josephine,

Ummmm this may sound stupid but whats AMC?

Further:

In the absence of copies of your record from NARA, they can accept your own copies, along with a happy statement that you certify that to the best of your knowlege that the records exhibited are true and correct etc etc etc...

So they will accept your records, if this is the VA we are talking about...

I ran across something that scares the "H" outta me. A recent request for a copy of my records to St. Louis got a reply that they had transferred the records to the VARO. And, indeed they did. Instead of taking a couple of weeks to get a copy, the VARO sends a copy when they sort of feel like it, or you start asking pointed questions and reference the FOIA in your written request.

• HadIt.com Elder
I ran across something that scares the "H" outta me. A recent request for a copy of my records to St. Louis got a reply that they had transferred the records to the VARO. And, indeed they did. Instead of taking a couple of weeks to get a copy, the VARO sends a copy when they sort of feel like it, or you start asking pointed questions and reference the FOIA in your written request.

Chuck 75,

This has really been a learning experience for me. I thought that I could at least trust the BVA and the AMC. I am finding out, I can't trust anyone in the VA.

What has the world come to?

Josephine

Chuck,

No matter how far away your RO is, you need to request a file review and go there to read your claims file when the review is granted. I waited until I got my first decision letter to request a complete copy of my claims file under the Privacy Act. It was free and I got it in about 6 weeks. You need to have it in your record that you have a copy of your C-file in your hot little hands. I then ask the opinion-writing docs to state that they have been furinshed and read my C-file and their opinion reflects ALL of my medical history. So far, it's worked! It shuts off any VA objection that the opinion-writing doc didn't read your SMRs, etc.

Ralph