Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vietnam Purple Heart Search

Rate this question

Diamondrichlb

Question

Aloha,

I'm not sure this is the correct forum to post this into, but during a record search at home in regard to another issue I found a letter from a Captain to a Commanding General, United States Army Vietnam requesting I be awarded a Purple Heart for wounds suffered while flying a mission in the Vietnam Theater of Operations. I also have a copy of the treatment records from the emergency room. I remember the incident and going to the emergency room. I don't remember the application for the Purple Heart. The date of the letter requesting the Award was dated after my return from Vietnam. The Captain who took me to the emergency room has since died.

I requested a full records search from the National Personnel Records Center. When going thru the records they provided a couple months later, I do not see a request for the award of the PH, award of the PH, nor denial of the request for award of the PH. The letter from NPRC which came with the copy of my records states that since the PH is not shown as an awarded medal the request was turned down. It seems to me if the request was turned down there should be a record of the request and subsequent denial.

There is the issue that the mission I was flying was Top Secret. I don't know if it still is. That's way beyond my pay grade. Would that complicate the matter?

Can anyone suggest what my next step(s) should be?

Thanks for your help.

Geez, even brother's of vets can be wannabees like this guy:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ct/pr/woodstock-man-who-posed-deceased-sister-steal-va-benefits-sentenced-6-months-prison

GB ,thanks for all of the help you give here!!!!!

6 Months- it should have been 6 YEARS. Disgraceful

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta, that maggot is from Connecticut. Not all that far away; we're a small state. You can go cross state in less than 3 hours. 6 years; lady, you're way too easy. 60 is about right to me. They should nail these people and publicize the hell out of it.

3 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

They should nail these people and publicize the hell out of it.

not to sound even remotely like I am defending these criminals, but that really does nothing to stop the problem or address the underlying social structures that allow for criminals to believe it is okay for them to do.

The U.S. is a First World Nation. We have defined ourselves as nation of Ease and Entitlement. A nation of people demanding that working more than 40 yours a week is beneath us. That we as individuals are not responsible for our own advancement, social position, wealth, or profession.

We are becoming a nation of people who believe we can do anything we want, say anything we want, and everyone else can sit down and shut up of they don't like it. That we are entitled to absolutely anything we want, whether we earn it or not. That our parents wealth, if they had any, is by rights our own and that it makes us better than others. That we can take what belongs to others without expecting a negative response.

That might makes right.

We have no mandatory National or Community service. We impose no obligation on ourselves that we must each pay our own way. We allow, and even promote, the insane concept that we are perpetual victims if everyone or anyone does not agree with us.

We have whole political and social movements dedicated to the idea that we, the individual, can do anything with little to no obligation to the greater society. Funny enough many of those same people follow the teachings of a woman from Russia who declared anyone who got government services to be less than American, then secretly sought out those same services for herself.

We operate with severely divergent authorities.

Years ago one administration closed all government mental health institutions and slashed our national tax basis. The streets flooded with mentally unsound people who needed medication and monitoring. Some were violent in their behavior. We then criminalized being poor, homeless, and or mentally unsound.

The Highest courts, in that same time, declared that people can live and defecate on that streets. That people don't have to have a means to support themselves. That those whose property is damaged and devalued have no recourse against those doing the harm.

The increase in the number of grifters, wannabees, and criminals is no surprise considering those factors. The leap in number of people willing to openly declare that it is okay that they individually are entitled to government largess, but others are not, is a predictable outcome. That some will engage in criminal fraud to get those handouts is a foregone conclusion. Completely predictable.

We can see this fragmented thinking in our society, our politics, our religions, our law, our city/state/federal governments. The vitriolic partisanship of today's life is rocket-fueled by social media and the ability to incite anger, revolt, and revenge in 140 characters.

The social experiment that is America is rapidly eating itself out of existence. At the current rate we can expect to be relegated to a half-millennium blip in the arc of human history.

I am glad I am old and have only a decade or two left on this mortal coil.

• HadIt.com Elder

Man, I hate it but you're right on a good chunk of it!!! I, too am truly not sorry about my age; I won't see much of what iI fear is  rapidly becoming of my wonderful country.

1 hour ago, GBArmy said:

Man, I hate it but you're right on a good chunk of it

while I obviously believe I am right on all of what I wrote, we are each entitled to our own perspectives. Sharing them can help those willing to learn understand our fellow humans a little bit better. Those that insist only their point of view is correct are part of the general social demise I am speaking about.

pick almost any topic and finding partisan disagreement is as easy as finding a rat in a sewer; and just as predictable. The current crop of public leaders and so many rank and file Americans, are thin-skinned whiners. They bully others then run mewling behind their mothers skirts screaming about how their feelings are hurt and that people are being mean to them.

Those individuals feel that the abuse they heap on others is righteous but no one dare defend themselves against that abuse. The ones I am talking about frequently abuse their position and status. They bully others, insult them, behave in Anti-American ways and in some cases commit crimes against the American people. Most have never served in the Military but want to brag about their patriotism, then they secretly work to undermine veterans.

Sadly we do have veterans who act in that same anti-American way.

Most want to go on the offensive when they are called out for their own bad behaviors. They climb up on a high horse and whine others are being mean to them. Despite their actions meriting disapprobation. They claim to speak for everyone when they truly only speak for their own self-dealing desires.

Edited by GeekySquid

• HadIt.com Elder

Geeky, you are a deep thinker. I don't know if you ever thought about a gig in a local community college, but I could see you really enjoying teaching philosophy, or maybe geometry.