Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vietnam Purple Heart Search

Rate this question

Diamondrichlb

Question

Aloha,

I'm not sure this is the correct forum to post this into, but during a record search at home in regard to another issue I found a letter from a Captain to a Commanding General, United States Army Vietnam requesting I be awarded a Purple Heart for wounds suffered while flying a mission in the Vietnam Theater of Operations. I also have a copy of the treatment records from the emergency room. I remember the incident and going to the emergency room. I don't remember the application for the Purple Heart. The date of the letter requesting the Award was dated after my return from Vietnam. The Captain who took me to the emergency room has since died.

I requested a full records search from the National Personnel Records Center. When going thru the records they provided a couple months later, I do not see a request for the award of the PH, award of the PH, nor denial of the request for award of the PH. The letter from NPRC which came with the copy of my records states that since the PH is not shown as an awarded medal the request was turned down. It seems to me if the request was turned down there should be a record of the request and subsequent denial.

There is the issue that the mission I was flying was Top Secret. I don't know if it still is. That's way beyond my pay grade. Would that complicate the matter?

Can anyone suggest what my next step(s) should be?

Thanks for your help.

This source also might help:

"Department of the Army

U.S. Army & Joint Services Records Research Center (JSRRC)

7701 Telegraph Road

Kingman Building, Suite 2C08

Alexandria, Virginia 22315-3802

Telephone number: 703-428-6801"

They often are contacted by the VA to confirm a stressor but vets themselves have contacted them ,by mail, as well ,to obtain info.

The more you tell them ,as to details and dates etc, would help but maybe if you call them they would have a better idea, ...since this was a secret operation, as to what info they would need from you.

• HadIt.com Elder

The changing of the DD 214   is transposed so-to-speak to the DD-215 as an update to your current DD 214..your current DD 214 WILL REMAIN UNCHANGED  ,THEY REFLECT THE CHANGE ON THE DD- 215

What you might try this letter from your Captain

''I found a letter from a Captain to a Commanding General, United States Army Vietnam requesting I be awarded a Purple Heart for wounds suffered while flying a mission in the Vietnam Theater of Operations. ''

send this in as your evidence and any special orders giving the dates locations of the operation (Vietnam) Be sure make copies  keep your originals.

This letter form unit commander should help you in getting your deserved PH

I have used the ARMY REVIEW BOARD OF MILITARY RECORDS in correcting some dates on my DD 214 And sent them the necessary documents(these people are not nice)  Unfortunately  for some reason they denied in making the date correction? when my evidence was in black and white as clear as Day.they said my evidence does not show the dates I am asking for the extended stay   I even sent in the captain signing the extended stay forms with the dates saying once I signed I had to full fill the agreement up to 90 days minimum and no guarantee I would not  be sent to another unit.  ..I fought with them for couple years on this issue and they came back and said a denial will be forth coming if you can't supply us the evidence we need to make this correction..I gave the hell up!

I had extended my stay with my unit after my one year was up  this is not reflected on my DD-214 & I wanted it to be corrected  not for claims purposes but its just the right thing to do because I stayed over there volunteer and it should reflect my service dates locations.

but hey they did address the  PH  I never knew I had or was awarded?   these were awarded to everyone in my unit after I left Vietnam...I was wounded but nothing severe  just sucked it up  mostly from incoming mortars rocket attacks harassment at  3:00am we had to run and I mean run And jump in the Bunkers some of us got hurt hitting the sandbags hard or hitting each other  running into each other, cuts and just general bruises. ect,,,ect,,  Now some buddys did get hurt that required medical attention.

So that letter from your Captain should be enough evidence along with what evidence you can send as your unit and location and dates. they should see what operation it was and the Captain letter. plus TDY Orders  we called  in-country travel on the ground...which we had strick classified travel oders from the TMP  The Lt Col Commander Lt 

I was good friends with my Captain but he showed no buddy favors  actually we all loved him very much  he was for all his men.

I'll away's remember him. Captain Jim Owens

Anyway you might check with Alex Graham (aka Asknod)  (Air America )he was shot down some where over Laos and DMZ area heavily  jungle area  and was injured, (I'm not 100% sure on this location?) & I am not sure he was awarded the PH  but I think he was or should have been.

I am not sure what Ms berta is referring to wanna bees? other than soldiers that did not meet the PH Criteria and asking/requesting  the PH?

I feel I don't deserve it  but if they want to give me one I'll take it.

You should get your PH  be good to show your grandchildren  some day.

Good Luck with it.

Edited by Buck52

Buck said:

"I am not sure what Ms berta is referring to wanna bees? other than soldiers that did not meet the PH Criteria and asking/requesting  the PH?"

Not at all..........................!!!!

The wannabee reference was simply in the linked hyperspace address , because it was the first link I got , regarding to prove what I had said- that the Vietnam War has been declassified.

The article at that link is important.

The American War Library ,where that link came from-changed from the original- is an excellent source of info and I believe I used an excerpt from it's info when I did my first thesis on Vietnam for AMU.

http://www.amervets.com/ ( It used to be The Vietnam War Electronic Library) Lots of info available there

Unlike a few other members , we have gotten at hadit ,over the past 22  years here, there is Nothing in this veteran's initial post to ever suggest he is some wannabee.

Here is their email addy for public questions  publicinfo@americanwarlibrary.com

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

Oh  okay , thank you Ms Berta for the clarification 

I was not sure  and not sure this veteran took offence to that?

I certainly hope not. 

DiamondrichLB- you have excellent evidence to pursue this with.

Unfortunately sometimes widows have DIC claims that are solely based  on the deceased veteran's "secret missions"and if they are unwilling to do  a  lot of research , those claims will fail.

When we moved to NY,the first vet I met invited us to a VVA meeting he was the President of  this VVA Chapter. VVA- Vietnam Veterans Association -I was one of their first associate members.He was subsequently found to be a complete wannabee and was voted out.

Another President, of another type of Vietnam Vet org in NY, was also found to have lied about his Vietnam service. In that case the vets wanted to keep him in as their president -because he had done so much for this org.

I know 3 widow wannabees . One , a  upstate New Yorker, contacted me from the older board and the other lives about 4 miles away from me. VA does not recognize them as surviving spouses, because NY is not a common law state and they never  married the deceased veterans.  One of them never even lived with the veteran. 

And another "widow" married a severely disabled vets while he was in a hospital, and he died about a week later.

She wanted to get DIC, but didn't even know what he died from. I guess the death certificate had not been prepared yet-this was from the older hadit board.

VA only recognizes surviving spouses if they had been married to the veteran for one year or more.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta, what comes out of your mouth, I mean your computer, is amazing sometimes. You not only know what you comment on, but sometimes you come out with these interesting side notes that no one thinks about. Never thought about these "widows" trying to scam people for whatever they can think of. Who would of thunk? Lowlife.