VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IMO question, Irrelevent information for case?

Rate this question

LanceJoseph

Question

Hello all, I recently filed for a increase on my knees, lower back, and gastrointestinal disorder.I have a C&P scheduled for December and I have been researching doctors in my area to get IMO's. The one doctor I have seen so far was an orthopedic surgeon. She was far more interested in diagnosing me instead of giving me a ROM exam. She did end up diagnosing me with Osteoarthritis of the HIPS and says my lower back pain and knee pain and mobility are effected by this diagnosis. She states this in the DBQ but says nothing about my ROM of my knees and lower back. Is this information pertinent to my case? and should I use this as evidence of my knee and back issues? I feel like it will only muddy the waters sort of speak. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

The ortho exam was an inadequate medical examination for VA rating purposes.

ROM, as you know, is one criteria, of many, that the VA uses to determine the severity/disability level.

Another criteria that should be examined is the severity/frequency of flareups, and how they impact you, which I venture to guess probably wasn't mentioned in the ortho DBQ either?

If your osteoarthritis of your hips is not service connected, a nexus letter from a qualified medical professional will be required to obtain direct service connection, and furthermore, there should proof in your service treatment records of the onset of symptoms which could be attributed to hip osteoarthritis in order to win this under direct service connection.

To win service connection for your hip arthritis disability, secondary to your other service connected conditions, you will need an Independent Medical Examination with an adequate rationale performed by a medical professional.

I used the Ellis Clinic for my orthpedic independent medical exams.

Edited by 63Charlie

Yeah not at all, No mention of knee or back ROM, only ROM of hips. They did go into impact into daily life. Not much on severity of knees and back only hips. So I guess I wasted 400 bucks. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Lance What I would do if I already shelled out $400 bucks  is ask for another exam because the first was inadequate. Show her where she failed to enter the data you need and ask for an additional or supplemental exam. If they balk, tell them you think they were unprofessional; and will be contacting your state commissioner (or whatever you have that oversees medical practices.) They will not like to take a hit for something like that on their performance which is published to the public.. Next time, be sure it is clear to the doc what you expect them to do for you; complete the DBQ, write a IMO letter, whatever.

A DBQ is a very basic form that most competent medical professionals could easily complete.

The VA made them easy to fill out for a reason

If you look at the competency of some of the C&P examiners the VA will send a veteran to, one can easily understand why the DBQ forms are oversimplified.

Thank you all for the advice, I will try and work with them to try and fix this but so far they do not seem willing to help in any way. I have appointments scheduled with another Ortho surgeon that understands exactly what I am seeking and also an appointment with a Chiropractic doctor that also has experience with DBQ's. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Lance If they balk, I'm telling you, show them the dbq and ask them why they can take your money and only do a half-ass job. I'm serious. They did an incomplete job, why should you pay for that.It is basically worthless; you have to go out and pay a COMPETENT doc again because they couldn't do an exam! You don't have to be Mr. nice-guy if you don't want too. They are doing that to you because they believe they can get away with it. Do you really think that you are the first patient they did this to? Your last statement should be, if I don't get a reschedule to complete the exam, I am going to go to '''(the state commissioner???). Tell them!!! Then do it. IMO.