VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

On post/base access?

Rate this question

allansc2005

Question

Morning folks, 

Been a  minute since I've been here, I'm staying busy helping veterans help themselves.

That aside, I have some questions concerning a veteran who just got his 100% IU, P&T.

Because of his medical conditions, cancer being one of them, this divorced veteran needs to find out if he can legally designate someone to go  to the BX, Commissary.., for him?

To get to the point, is there a VA, DOD.., ID card that will allow anyone except a spouse to get access to a base for the purpose of helping this veteran?

I already know he can sponsor people to get onto military bases, just stop at the Gate ID section and get them a visitors pass, but how about getting authorization to shop for him?

Thanks,

Allan 

2-2-0  HUAH!

5 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Certain primary caregivers are supposed to be able to get base access. Not sure what makes up the criteria to be designated a primary caregivers, perhaps A&A recipients.

https://www.militarytimes.com/pay-benefits/2019/08/19/millions-more-will-be-soon-be-allowed-to-shop-on-military-bases-but-some-veterans-wonder-how-theyll-get-access/

Thanks Vync,

This seems to be a very difficult question to get a direct answer on.

The folks at the ID card on base doesn't seem to have the answers, nor does those working at the base Welcome Center.

I do know the "rules" to be a primary care giver, and the red tape is a pain in the you-know-what.

Have I stumped hadit.com?

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!!

With this being so new and not yet in effect, I have a feeling that everyone is like us - waiting for the VA and military to roll out details of how it will work

Vync,

I downloaded and thumbed through the application for a Primary Care Giver, and the conditions, requirements.., are a nightmare!

All this divorced, cancer survivor,  100% IU P&T  veteran needs is to be able to designate somebody who can have access to base(s)., do his commissary and PX shopping for him when he's unable to do it for himself, without having to marry someone!

Berta, if you're reading this, any suggestions, comments..?

Allan  2-2-0 HUAH!

@allansc2005 they are pretty intense for a reason. They really want to be certain that a primary care giver is really a primary care giver.

This example is not directly related to the VA system, but gives an idea of how it works. One of my relatives doesn't work a regular job. Her son was totally disabled at birth and he needs 24x7 care. She applied to become his primary care giver. She had to go through the registration process similar to that one.