Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Multiple Claims at one time?

Rate this question

Ranmic

Question

Not sure what I should do in this situation so again I'm turning to all you for unofficial advice.  I have a current claim in for my knees with the VA.  The person doing the review called me and said that without more evidence my claim would more than likely be denied.  I understand his statement and it makes sense to me and I really cant ask them to SC me with very little evidence supporting my claim.  Now,  my next question is while I have the pending knee claim I digging through my copy of my medical record and found multiple entries (3 total over 4 years) related to Glaucoma (I actually posted on that a week or two ago).  My question is should I wait for the knee claim to get denied (or whatever happens with it) before I file for a SCD for Glaucoma?  I don't know if I have two pending claims if it reflect negatively on me or come across as a gold digger per se.  Basically I think my chances of getting the Glaucoma connected would be stronger than my knees but I am not sure when I should file a claim.  I have my service record entries and my Private doctor's entries for past, current and ongoing treatments.  Any thoughts on path forward would be appreciated.

5 answers to this question

I would file the claim now.  Sometimes the VA combines claims and they all could be appealed at the same time if they are denied.  You need proof in your STR's, proof of a current chronic condition, and a nexus between the two.  If you are lucky you go to a C&P and they give you the nexus.  If not then you have to file an appeal, supplemental, higher level, or BVA with an IMO (independent medical opinion) from a doctor you employ.  Getting the IMO is not cheap but you need this as evidence.  I spent a total of $3500 on IMO's for my appeal.  No, I am not looking for money I did not earn.  I earned these benefits putting my body on the line for the military.  I was injured and can no longer work.  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Good advice from @vetquest. You served. If you have disabilities related to service, file for them. I view it as a moral imperative. Yeah, my health would probably be average for my age (48) had I not served. However, years or service can leave you less than whole. You earned the right to file and receive benefits for which you qualify.

Also, if a disability, or medication used to treat a disability, causes another disability, file for those too.

While browsing the BVA decisions web site, I can across a claim which had over 40 contentions that were decided. We lovingly refer to filing multiple issues as "shotgun claims".

File them if you got them. By the time you have your evidence together and submitted, the VA may have already made their decision. When filing for multiple things, they tend to try to complete the ones that they can and defer others until they can make a decision. It can be tedious waiting for a decision, but be patient instead of in a rush. 

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

24 minutes ago, vetquest said:

I would file the claim now.  Sometimes the VA combines claims and they all could be appealed at the same time if they are denied.  You need proof in your STR's, proof of a current chronic condition, and a nexus between the two.  If you are lucky you go to a C&P and they give you the nexus.  If not then you have to file an appeal, supplemental, higher level, or BVA with an IMO (independent medical opinion) from a doctor you employ.  Getting the IMO is not cheap but you need this as evidence.  I spent a total of $3500 on IMO's for my appeal.  No, I am not looking for money I did not earn.  I earned these benefits putting my body on the line for the military.  I was injured and can no longer work.  

Thank you Vetquest.  So, if I understand you correctly I need to take what notes I have in my service record, combine them with my current eye Doctor's treatment records and submit them with my claim.....correct?  It was stated multiple times during my service career that I was "glaucoma suspect" (their words) but never started on any treatments but after I got out and was visiting my eye doctors and he was immediately alarmed at my pressure levels and changing vision/prescription levels and started treatment for pressure shortly there after. So I am currently and will forever be taking eye drops nightly unless they come up with a miracle cure.

12 minutes ago, Vync said:

Good advice from @vetquest. You served. If you have disabilities related to service, file for them. I view it as a moral imperative. Yeah, my health would probably be average for my age (48) had I not served. However, years or service can leave you less than whole. You earned the right to file and receive benefits for which you qualify.

Also, if a disability, or medication used to treat a disability, causes another disability, file for those too.

While browsing the BVA decisions web site, I can across a claim which had over 40 contentions that were decided. We lovingly refer to filing multiple issues as "shotgun claims".

File them if you got them. By the time you have your evidence together and submitted, the VA may have already made their decision. When filing for multiple things, they tend to try to complete the ones that they can and defer others until they can make a decision. It can be tedious waiting for a decision, but be patient instead of in a rush. 

Vync, thank you for your input. I may just move forward with my claim and see what happens.  I appreciate your insight.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Glad to help!

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.