Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VHIC card and temp % for Disabilities

Rate this question

rey007

Question

I am interested in getting a VHIC to access the PX near my house. However my ailments are not permanent along with my percentage rating. I just completed my 5 year C&P re-exam and my rating is continued, I have heard out of site out of mind for any VA treatment that is not static. If I went to my local VA clinic are they going to call me in every few months to check on my ailments?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Well, the first thing I would ask is did you check ebenefits to see if they have the "letter" which authorizes access to the commissary?  "The Commissary letter".  

VA is often rather confusing in its decisions to say whether or not its P and T.  Does your letter say, "no future exams scehduled" in your most recent decision letter? That is vaspeak for P and T.  

However, if neither of these pan out, "if you want access" to your local commissary/px/base exchange, then you may have to apply for P and T.  I have no idea if it will be granted.  

My opinion (not shared by all) is that the commissary/px/base exchange is of dubious/doubtful value.  

First, my commissary has very limited choices.  Next, they mark up the "advertised" (price in the store) up by about 5 to 7 percent.  So everything is higher than it seems.  Milk, for example, at my local Kroger is usually 1.29 a gallon, while at the commissary, its usually 1.99 plus an additional fee.  

Yes, you can save if you shop both stores when stuff is on sale, but its been my experience, if you add the cost of transportation to get to the commissary, and the wait time, its no wonder that many troops and Veterans shop locally instead of at the commissary.  

In my state there are no sales taxes on food (for take out..resteraunts add sales tax on items consumed on premisis), but that added 7 percent at the commissary means that there IS tax on food, but "only" on base food.  Local grocery stores do not charge tax on food except something called "sugar tax" on soda pop.  

However, this isnt a debate on commissary priveleges as to whether its worth it to buy there.  I can tell you its an enormous benefit to be P and T in my state.  A few benefits of 100 percent P and T:  

1.  Free fishing license.

2.  Free hunting license.

3.  Property tax reduction from about 1200 per year to about 400 per year.  

4.  Free camping in state parks. (some places its a 50 percent reduction).  

5.  One set of free license plates.  This saves about 75 dollars per year.  

But the really big deals for 100 percent P and T are Champva insurance for your spouse and DEA chapter 35 for your dependents.  Champva health insurance is probably worth more than 500 per month, and DEA is worth even more if you have "college age" kids.  I think DEA sent my son to college and paid him around 1400 per month.  

• HadIt.com Elder

rey007 No worries. If your combined disability rating is 10% or higher, you can get a VA Health ID card. Take a copy of your decision letter to the VA facility and they can set you up. You will take a picture and they probably will mail it out in a week or two. Shouldn't be a problem. If you were just reviewed as a 5 year, that's good also. Kinda fixes your status. What makes you think your status will change?

• HadIt.com Elder

By the way, effective January 1, 2020, a disabled veteran, rated even 0% can use the commissaries. You do need the VA Health ID card to gain access however.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes GB Army I read that too some where  about being 0% as long as they have the card they can get in.

I think any veteran that has a Veterans Id medical card  (VIMC) That maybe over 10 years old needs to see Id Dept at their respected VAMC and request another card made   these new cards  do not have your SS # on them visible to see and it also has bril imprint if your blind and has your service status on it  rather or not your service connected.

Also a 100%  P&T Veteran can go to just about any military post and have a DOD Card made for him and spouse  take the necessary paper work D.L & birth certificates and marriage license and your Award letter   I think the Veteran card is forever no expiration date but the spouse will need to renew hers every 3 years I think?

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck 52, the fly in the ointment is that the VAMC will not issue a VA ID for a veteran rated under 10%. The still will get health care for their s-c condition, but are not eligible for other care, or there is additional costs somehow. They are aware of the problem; the new law allows 0% rated veterans to go to the commissaries, but the VA Health right now won't provide the ID to less than 10%. I'd like to hear if anyone got this resolved yet (the law just started a week ago), because I know several that want the benefit and can't access the base.

GB I have only gone to my personal doctor once or twice in the past 5 years, he has given me meds which are supposed to help in the short term with my ailments, sometimes they do sometimes they don't. If I sign up for my local VA medical center are they going to want me to come in a lot more to try and cure my ailments? I am worried that they could state that I am showing improvement and then there goes my %, especially since they are not permanent. I seem to manage my disabilities to get by on a daily basis, the money I get helps me out a lot. Like I said it would be great to get a VHIC card but not worth the risk of the VA lowering my % rating.