Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I got diagnosis of diabetes in AIT

Rate this question

Deannnnn

Question

Hi I’m in AIT now and recently I got diagnosis of diabetes. And doctor said it’s EPTS and I can’t get any disability benefits cuz it’s not army fault. But I went through MEPS, they didn’t find any of this. Of course I didn’t know that I had diabetes. The reason why I went to clinic and checked my blood cuz I felt really tried during my leave and I had some symptoms about diabetes so I bought a device and checked blood myself. It wasn’t normal tho. that’s why I wanted to make sure with army doctor. I’ll be kicked out soon. So in this case, is it hard to get VA disability benefits?

Update————

thank u all for giving me good ideas. I’m active duty and on March 5th is gonna be 180days. 

Edited by Deannnnn

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit!

Your Army doctor might be right, but he could be wrong. There are other avenues to service connection.

You said you were in AIT now, but recently got a diagnosis of diabetes. The Army doc said it was EPTS (existed prior to service). The only way he could come to that conclusion is if you either told him or it was noted on your entrance examination.

Was this the first time you have ever been diagnosed with diabetes? 

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Deannnn Sorry to hear of your illness. Most importantly, seek treatment and try to manage your symptoms; it is life altering and can be life threatening. I might be wrong on this but if you research I believe you must have an event or illness only after 90 days of active duty. If you are in AIT,  you aren't considered Active yet. Google VA healthcare requirements. Unfortunately, I don't believe you have much chance of getting it s-c. Sorry; good luck to you.

My DD-214 indicates I was active duty from from the entrance medical exam where the Army found me fit to serve, until I was discharged 2 years later.

I am unaware of AIT NOT being active duty, or a 90 day period barring one from being able to receive disability benefits.

Not saying there isn't, but would you happen to have this information available and can you copy and paste it here?

@63Charlie I believe the 90 days on active duty may be a factor if applying for VA pension, not SC. I'm not certain if @Deannnnn is a member of the National Guard, Reserve, or active duty. I do not know if those requirements below apply to guard and reserve or all. If they get SC, pension requirements do not appear to apply.
https://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/benefits-summary/SummaryofVANationalGuardandReserve.pdf

From the bottom of page 3:

image.png.8cbd13d412829bfe704e5f3a0f79a60b.png

image.thumb.png.aa4c58036647dfa685e3907f232cb41d.png

I found this, which tells you what to do to file a claim while still on active duty, but before discharge:

https://www.va.gov/disability/how-to-file-claim/when-to-file/pre-discharge-claim/

If you have an illness or injury that you believe was caused—or made worse—by your active-duty service, you can file a claim for disability benefits 180 to 90 days before you leave the military. This may help speed up the claim decision process so you can get your benefits sooner. Find out how to file a claim through the Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD) program—and what to do if you have less than 90 days left on active duty.

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• HadIt.com Elder

I stand corrected; training is considered active duty when considering disability. Vync is correct;  was thinking about health care. That's why you have to do the research, not jamokes like me. But the VA will have a strong case about EPTS for diabetes. They are going to say you can't get it in just a few weeks while you were in basic and AIT. So, you are going to need an IMO that your doc will say here is the evidence that it can develop in XXX weeks; here is the medical journal/article from xxx (ex. Mayo Clinic). That fact it wasn't noted on your initial physical exams is certainly a plus for you, but you need a nexus. medical evidence that will support your position. I certainly don't know how quick it can develop. And you what, what I,or you think isn't important. You need a medical opinion to opine it is possible. Again; good luck and take care.

@GBArmy I can see the VA trying to do that. Being that it is an endocrine disorder, that should make things interesting. A good medical opinion should suffice.

I won my aggravation claim via benefit of the doubt. They could not point to a specific causal factor other than it was normal at the start and became progressively worse during service.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/symptoms-causes/syc-20371444

A diet high in fat, calories, and cholesterol can increase risk of diabetes. Wonder what the Deannnn's diet was before joining the service vs. while in basic and AIT. I know I was Mr. skinny before getting in and I ate everything they put on my plate, even the lima beans. 

Other risk factors include family history, environmental factors, antibodies, race, age, weight, and ovary issues.

Hopefully this info will help Deannnn out.