Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Aids

Rate this question

Ranmic

Question

I am pretty sure I'm posting this questioning the wrong forum so for that I apologize in advance. 

I have had tinnitus for years and being Service connected I was told I was eligible for VA hearing aids (my hearing sucks too) that may help.  I've been told that the hearing aids they have really do help a lot with the constant ringing.  Does anyone on here currently have any from the VA and do they really work?  It would be nice to get relief sometimes if they actually do work.

Edited by Ranmic
typo

• HadIt.com Elder

let it be known you do not have to be service connected to be eligible for VA Hearing Aids  you will need to take a test and the Dr's will decide if you need hearing aids?

if you do they will fit you for a pair or if you just need one. they mold out your ears and send off to have your inner ear piece made to fit only your ears.

when they come in they should call or send you a letter telling you what date/time to come in to be fitted for your new hearing aids. and how to care for them and use them  ect,,,ect,,,,

VA has some of the best companies across the nation that makes them & very good quality hearing Aids.  

They may give you a choice as to which hearing aid company you want to make them.

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Buck, I apologize for the confusion, I am rated for Tinnitus (10%) and Hearing (0%).  I should have been more clear in my post. I was referring to the MH aspect as a secondary condition.  I plan on going to the VA hopefully in the very near future and getting an eval.  Hopefully with that I can file for an increase.

Sorry again if I was not clear.

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger that Ranmic &no need to apologize 

I should have read your post more clearly.

Yes ,  you can get secondary claims with when a MH Conditions is the cause or related to.what it is your claiming.

Example , if your  Service Connected  for MH  say is  PTSD, & if you been diagnose  with sleep apnea because of the medications from your PTSD  and VA issued you a C-PAP Machine medically  to use for your well being, and you get your Dr to give his/her opinion that it is medically required for you to use the C-Pap machine due to your M H  medications.

C-pap usage medically required to use is a 50% Rating depending on how severe your Sleep Apnea is and the symptoms?

. if you have severe OSA  it usually is a 100% rating..and if you already have a 100% rating or maybe 90% rating   by law the rater has a MANDATORY DUTY to rate you with the SMC- S AWARD 

ACTUALLY if you have any other conditions related or caused by  your MH Condition you should be able to get it service connected and a rating giving to you.

You will need a qualified  Dr to state his/her opinion that the new condition is at least likely as not cause by/related to your service connected MH Condition .

Hearing loss can cause or related to Depression  ect,,,ect,,,

*Note, Anytime a Veteran has a condition secondary to another condition or his original s.c. condition  it becomes part of his original condition.

And they rate accordingly to how severe the new condition is.

SO IF YOUR RATED 30% NOW FOR A SERVICE CONNECTED CONDITION AND YOU GET A 50% INCREASE FOR OSA that would calculate up to 65%(VA MATH) and bring your combined rating to 70%

You may want to think about checking your hearing loss out and file for an increase on that?  once service connected for hearing loss even at 0% the hard part is over   so-to-speak   and you ask for an increase if you feel or know that your hearing has got worse since they last rated you for hearing loss at 0%   you maybe surprised now that you hearing loss may indeed warrant a higher percentage.

And your already service connected for 10% tinnitus so all these combined ratings add up and could most certainly add up to the 100% rating   which is a very beneficial sizable  increase in your VA Compensation and added benefits  such as the property tax exemption   that is a biggie my friend.

And possible SMC S benefits in the future.

If a 100% veteran gets another s.c. condition rated at 60% or higher separate from his 100% condition  then he qualifies for the SMC S.

So many Veterans out there are rated under from what they truly deserve but just don't know it.

I wish you well.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!