VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How does this Happen????

Berta

"Fayetteville Man Pleads Guilty to Obtaining VA Benefits through Fraud
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Matthew G.T. Martin, United States Attorney for the Middle District of North Carolina, announced today that WILLIE DOSHER CAIN pleaded guilty to a felony count of theft of government funds related to healthcare fraud.

CAIN, age 73, of Fayetteville, N.C., pleaded guilty before Chief United States District Judge Thomas D. Schroeder in federal court in Winston-Salem, to one count of theft of government funds, in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 641. CAIN also agreed to the forfeiture of $155,041.30, a condominium located in Carolina Beach, a Toyota Sienna van, and a mobility scooter.

According to documents filed with the court, CAIN, a US Army and Fayetteville Police Department veteran, represented to the VA that as a result of shrapnel wounds sustained in Vietnam in 1965, he had suffered the loss of use of both legs, as well as loss of bowel and bladder control, that he was unable to perform daily activities such as dressing and bathing without assistance, and that he was dependent on a wheelchair or motorized scooter for mobility. Filed documents further state, however, that CAIN in fact maintained an active lifestyle throughout this time, including working as a firearms and concealed carry instructor, enjoying beach activities, playing basketball, dancing, and attending social events. He also bought a condominium at Carolina Beach on the third floor of a building which had no elevator. The investigation revealed that as a result of his false claims, CAIN received hundreds of thousands of dollars of VA benefits to which he was not entitled, in the form of direct payments for aid and attendance, modifications to his home, and the purchase and adaptation of vehicles.

The defendant faces a maximum penalty of ten years imprisonment, a fine of up to $250,000, or both, and a term of supervised release of not more than three years. Sentencing will occur in Winston-Salem on September 29, 2020 at 09:30am.

The case was investigated by the Veterans Affairs – Office of the Inspector General. The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Frank J. Chut, Jr. and Meredith Ruggles."

###

I just don't get it-VA will often give a valid VA claimant a lot of heartache and work to do , to prove their SC disabilities, but from time to time, some vets get away with manipulating the system,  and I bet many of them do not get caught.

I think this vet has some inside help.......because I do not see how he could have possibly fooled the VA so much.

I wonder what even triggered this investigation.......maybe someone reported him to the IG for fraud.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdnc/pr/fayetteville-man-pleads-guilty-obtaining-va-benefits-through-fraud

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez..I thought that was bad but this one is even worse:

"Attorney Misconduct, Inadequate Supervision, and Mismanagement in the Office of General Counsel"

BTW this resulted from a White House Hot Line complaint.

https://www.va.gov/oig/pubs/VAOIG-18-06501-158.pdf

WH hot line complaints- 

Be well prepared to clearly state your issue and the evidence for it.

I asked for a read back from what they typed, for my complaint....to make sure they got the point ( they did)

White House Hot Line for Veterans ( and survivors)

1-855-948-2311

Edited by Berta
added more

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta I noticed on your bio that you are "SVR Radio Panelist." What is that?

At least 15-16 years ago Jerrol Cook ( Hadit Radio Podcast) produced the SVR show via a radio station in Iowa.

I was with him on most of those weekly shows and interviewed many vet lawyers , Doug Rosinski and Bob Walsh , Congressman Bob Filner when he was Chairman of the House  Veterans Affairs Committee, and I interviewed Dr. Bash there many times, and I was also the Guest who Jerrol interviewed- and we talked about all things- VA. We left that station and hadit member Mike Sasser ( "Stretch") now deceased, started up our own radio station.He didn't want any money for it and said it only cost a few hundred bucks, and he also paid for the 800# call in line.

Jbasser joined us and Kurt Priessman (deceased)and member James Cripps I think was on those older SVR show.

I asked Jerrol What SVR meant and he said "Surviving Veteran's Resolve." He said he didnt know what that really meant. We both laughed because he pulled that out of a hat just  to name the show. After that he came to hadit with the Podcast and now is involved with a show called "Exposed Veterans" I think the link is here.somewhere or googleable.

He means vets who were exposed to all sorts of chemical and environmental hazards.He asked me to be a guest but I don't have time these days.It took some time for me to fuinf guests, and to interview the guests ahead of time ( for their speech patterns etc.and ask them if they would talk loudly for the show due to HL vets) and see how I we could shape the shows format-Vietnam, GW,  Project 112, AO, DIC , EED etc etc .

I think the Exposed Vet shows are about many other vet claims issues as well.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ms Berta

Due to the fact that Jerald and John is not with us anymore and have their own radio show now with Alex as their guest host,

Have you ever gave it a thought to hook up with Ms T and produce another hadit podcast radio show and you be the host?

I miss that show.usually on Thursday Evenings at 7:00 pm  6;00 pm central 

Buck - I don't have the time- I deal with plenty here as it is.

I am sure anyone here could set that up and be the Host- and Jerrel Cook would help them , I am sure.

I will ask him and let you know.