Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD C&P after va doc diagnostics ?

Rate this question

novass

Question

already %50 for asthma / sleep apnea after fire / explosions on submarine.

while having sleep study doc asked me about PTSD , I said never tested.

Set up appointment with VA psychiatrist. He said anxiety disorder and PTSD 

I have captains report on fire / explosion putting me at the event. I also received an Navy Expeditionary Medal for this run.

If I file a claim for compensation will I still have to do a C&P ?? Im sure I will to get a rating number.

Do I have to get psychiatrist report or can they access it?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Novass You don't necessarily get another, but they have to be sure that they can eval all of your symptoms, so more than likely you will , IMHO. You might have other MH disabilities that might be uncovered. But be sure you go into this with the clear objectives. One, is you should be going after proper compensation for your s-c disabilities. But also, you want to get better,or in some MH disabilities, be able to learn to minimize your symptoms, as they quite possibly get worse, not better, as you get older. If you ask veterans with serious, debilitating disabilities, the vast majority would trade that monthly disability check just to be normal again. I truly hope that is your mindset also, and try to get all the help you can. And by the way, if you get a rating which is not P&T, the more you show willingness and effort for regular counseling and treatment, the more your records will build to get and keep a P&T rating in the future.

• HadIt.com Elder

NOVASS

QUOTED''

''If I file a claim for compensation will I still have to do a C&P ?? Im sure I will to get a rating number.''

''Do I have to get psychiatrist report or can they access it?''

Yes they usually will send you to a FORENSIC PSYCHIATRIC  C&P Exam  

If they read your evidence you may not need to prove your stressors  they may concede them..and they may not think you need an exam if your evidence is strong enough, but most of the time filing for PTSD they do send the Veteran to the C&P Exam

They do this to see how many symptoms  you have using the  =DSM 5 Diagnostic Manual   its nation wide    they give the ratings according to how severe your symptoms are.  and how many?

Using the word ''Unspecific''..like unspecific anxiety /Depression ect,,,ect,,,

The examiner determines this...so you may want to take any records of evidence with you to the exam  in-case the examiner did not get all the info from the VA..i...f he/she don't mention your  medical records or you feel the exam is going against you ..>   this is the time to speak up and ask this examiner if the VA sent your evidence and medical records that pertain to your claim  if not then you can whip these records out and give to the examiner.  the examiner will be reading from the computer and ask you questions

Just Always be honest when answering the examiners questions and if you don't know  simply say ''you don't know''

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

novass

After your exam wait about 2/3 weeks and go get this exam report  check with release of records at your VAMC

YOU CAN READ WHAT THE EXAMINER MENTION AND CHECK THE MENTAL HEALTH RATING CRITERIA ACCORDING TO YOUR SYMPTOMS.

SO YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR CORRECT RATING IS  A LOT OF TIMES IF VETERANS DON'T STAY ON TOP OF IT  THEY WILL WHAT WE CALL LOW-BALL YOUR RATING

HERE IS THE RATING FORMULA FOR ACCORDING TO YOUR SYMPTOMS

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders

Rating
Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name. 100%
Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships. 70%
Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships. 50%
Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events). 30%
Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or symptoms controlled by continuous medication. 10%
A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication. 0%

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!