Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Form 21-22

Rate this question

MarineLCpl

Question

I received a letter from the VA stating that this form was outdated and needed to be resubmitted. But I’m confused on a few things; 

I’ve always been represented by the American Legion in the past. Nothing has changed on my end. 

Lastly, section III asks for a specific VSO’s name...I never appointed a specific individual in the past. It’s also asking for their signature at the bottom on this form. What exactly is this? Do I have to track down a VSO and ask him to jointly fill out this form with me? This isn’t ideal, and during a state of emergency, may not be easy. What are my options here?? 

Sigh..this is just what I needed 😞 

Edited by MarineLCpl

Thanks to all those who have served and those currently serving

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You can check ebenefit under representative to see if you still have a representative.  You can call Peggy 1 (800) 827-1000 and ask them to check your POA status.  There are times when a representative will revoke a veterans POA. If your claim is going to the CAVC, it maybe time to get a lawyer. You can also try to contact the American Legion to verify your POA status.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

31 minutes ago, pacmanx1 said:

You can check ebenefit under representative to see if you still have a representative.  You can call Peggy 1 (800) 827-1000 and ask them to check your POA status.  There are times when a representative will revoke a veterans POA. If your claim is going to the CAVC, it maybe time to get a lawyer. You can also try to contact the American Legion to verify your POA status.

eBenefits still lists the American Legion as my representative. And no, not heading to the CAVC yet, the VA just opened a 5-year evaluation on me. C&P next week. 

while I don’t want to go through the process without a rep, I’m not entirely sure how to complete the form. That, and it appears that I’m still being represented...idk, more VA tactics maybe 

Edited by MarineLCpl

6 hours ago, broncovet said:

The obvious answer, if you want to keep your VSO, is to contact him and ask him these questions.  

My VSO "doesnt return calls", so I just go without him.  

The problem is, I don’t know my POC, all my claims ever say is ‘American Legion.’ Never have I seen someone’s name attached to it.

I was just under the impression that having a VSO makes you a little less susceptible to VA tricks during or after the claims process. Like if they proposed to reduce and I don’t have representation, I’d be more likely to make a mistake during the appeals process filing everything on my own...I’d hate to think they pull  crap like that on purpose, but I’ve heard my share of stories...as most of us have. 

• HadIt.com Elder

MarineLCpl You have time now to get this straightened out. It is important to have a rep that you have confidence in, especially if you are not sure of the process. Call and set up an appointment with you VSO. Tell who ever you talk to the situation and you want an appointment with "your" rep. If you don't have a rep but you are assigned one as needed, time to get a new POA. You need someone who is exclusive to you and your case. Go to another VSO organization, claims agent or lawyer. But make sure you have someone you can trust when push gets to shove.

Not sure what is going on but you probably will have to contact VA and your POA.  According to the VA form 21-22 dated FEB 2019, you don't have to have a specific representative or agent. This is what section III is saying: See blocks 15,16 and page 3

15. NAME OF SERVICE ORGANIZATION RECOGNIZED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS  (See list on Page 3 before selecting organization)

16A. NAME OF OFFICIAL REPRESENTATIVE ACTING ON BEHALF OF THE ORGANIZATION NAMED IN ITEM 15 (This is an appointment of the entire organization and does not indicate the designation of only this specific individual to act on behalf of the organization)

Page 3. Membership in an organization is not a prerequisite to appointment of the organization as claimant's representative.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.