Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Form 21-22

Rate this question

MarineLCpl

Question

I received a letter from the VA stating that this form was outdated and needed to be resubmitted. But I’m confused on a few things; 

I’ve always been represented by the American Legion in the past. Nothing has changed on my end. 

Lastly, section III asks for a specific VSO’s name...I never appointed a specific individual in the past. It’s also asking for their signature at the bottom on this form. What exactly is this? Do I have to track down a VSO and ask him to jointly fill out this form with me? This isn’t ideal, and during a state of emergency, may not be easy. What are my options here?? 

Sigh..this is just what I needed 😞 

Edited by MarineLCpl

Thanks to all those who have served and those currently serving

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

9 hours ago, GBArmy said:

MarineLCpl You have time now to get this straightened out. It is important to have a rep that you have confidence in, especially if you are not sure of the process. Call and set up an appointment with you VSO. Tell who ever you talk to the situation and you want an appointment with "your" rep. If you don't have a rep but you are assigned one as needed, time to get a new POA. You need someone who is exclusive to you and your case. Go to another VSO organization, claims agent or lawyer. But make sure you have someone you can trust when push gets to shove.

Sounds like a good idea! Who exactly do I call to set up an appointment though? 

• HadIt.com Elder

MarineLCpl On VA.gov there is a listing of your personal info, like your address, dependents, etc. It also lists Who your VSO is. If it isn't there, then call Peggy and ask them the contact number  ex. VFW 123 Main St; N.Y., N.Y. They have to hav a specific, because the have to send official copies to your POA.

22 hours ago, GBArmy said:

MarineLCpl On VA.gov there is a listing of your personal info, like your address, dependents, etc. It also lists Who your VSO is. If it isn't there, then call Peggy and ask them the contact number  ex. VFW 123 Main St; N.Y., N.Y. They have to hav a specific, because the have to send official copies to your POA.

I couldn’t find any info on there, but checked out eBenefits again. There was a message that said “Your representative may have multiple locations.” And when I clicked to find the closest one, a list of 38 VSO mailing addresses came up. Starting to think that I don’t have a specific VSO and that I’m assigned one as needed. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Maybe it doesn't matter to you, but that isn't what I would want. I would ask around, get recommendations on a SPECIFIC  VSO person, and actually talk to him/her and see if it makes sense to go with.Ask questions; why does he recommend a certain type of direction instead of another. What you have is one size fits all. I don't think so. All VSO's are not equal. But that's me. 

Edited by GBArmy
typo

6 hours ago, GBArmy said:

Maybe it doesn't matter to you, but that isn't what I would want. I would ask around, get recommendations on a SPECIFIC  VSO person, and actually talk to him/her and see if it makes sense to go with.Ask questions; why does he recommend a certain type of direction instead of another. What you have is one size fits all. I don't think so. All VSO's are not equal. But that's me. 

I guess I never thought about it since I haven’t had much trouble with my claims in the past. But I see where you’re coming from. I have my C&P exam today...doubt I’ll be able to sleep tonight 😕 but I plan to look into this soon. Probably what I’ll spend my time doing while I wait to hear back on their decision. 

Edited by MarineLCpl

• HadIt.com Elder

Good plan and we should realize that though it isn't the best option, we can always submit new evidence anytime during the claim decision process. It will undoubtedly result in more delays in your development, but if it is a game changer, sometimes it is the lesser of two evils. I only bring this up because veterans usually don't think of the claim process in that way. So, in your case for example, you go out and find a crackerjack VSO and he suggests a creative way to strengthen your case, you can still provide new evidence. Hopefully, this option isn't necessary most of the time.