Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tia chi for PTSD treament?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Anyone take or taking  TiaChi Classes  to help with your Anxiety and PTSD? & DEPRESSION?ANGER? MOODS?

My VA Therapist recommends me to try a class or two  to see if it helps with my stress/anxiety/depression?

Was wondering if it actually helps? any?

Thanks

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck I tried maybe 10 years ago, but didn't know it could have positive affects on MH issues. Since, I've recently picked up "minor" anxiety as a disability, whatever that is (haven't got it in writing yet.) But I have tried Mindfulness; the VA has an app for it. I like the Awareness of Breath; it's a work in progress but does seem to calm you down a little.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I had a VA neurologist at one point who would have recommended this. However, he opted against it because of the discs in my back being mostly shot. He was worried that with my existing balance issues, I was prone to falling and injuring myself further. I really wanted to give it a shot though.

• HadIt.com Elder

Vync There are many versions of TiaChi; some more easy on you than others. Armchair? I don't know. Maybe call the Vet Center or your MH office, or even physical theropy and see if there is anyone around.

• HadIt.com Elder

Vync Yes GB is right  , my therapist today mention that some veterans in wheel chairs are doing it mostly upper body, it is suppose to increase your body flow  of blood and help with anxiety stress and mind  control ,  its also a good exercise if you get into more and more, I have bone spurs in my heel and acute arthritis in both knees  but you only put pressure on them that you can stand  if it hurts then you don't do that  but you can do it sitting down and use your upper arms and neck back ect,,,ect,,, 

Tia Chi is a form of marshal arts  but only to defend your self   and also meditate your mind  the moment from it and how you move is suppose to suppress the anxiety and stress. and have better mind control  kinda like the mindfulness the VA has  but that didn't seem to help me.

I told my therapist if I learn TiaChi I might  finally whoop my spouse  she just laugh.

I may try it , I did some from watching the beginners TiaChi..its pretty good so for.

but today she wants me to join the anxiety class for combat veterans  and see if that helps me?  I did a few group meetings the last part of the year in December/Jan,  but then co-vid hit and the president declared the pandemic 

and started doing the VCC appointments.  Today was a VCC Apointment  we spent an hour and half on there today.