Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Permanent

Rate this question

EG03

Question

4.15  Total disability ratings.

The ability to overcome the handicap of disability varies widely among individuals. The rating, however, is based primarily upon the average impairment in earning capacity, that is, upon the economic or industrial handicap which must be overcome and not from individual success in overcoming it. However, full consideration must be given to unusual physical or mental effects in individual cases, to peculiar effects of occupational activities, to defects in physical or mental endowment preventing the usual amount of success in overcoming the handicap of disability and to the effect of combinations of disability. Total disability will be considered to exist when there is present any impairment of mind or body which is sufficient to render it impossible for the average person to follow a substantially gainful occupation; Provided, That permanent total disability shall be taken to exist when the impairment is reasonably certain to continue throughout the life of the disabled person. The following will be considered to be permanent total disability: the permanent loss of the use of both hands, or of both feet, or of one hand and one foot, or of the sight of both eyes, or becoming permanently helpless or permanently bedridden. Other total disability ratings are scheduled in the various bodily systems of this schedule.

In most cases when a veteran is awarded/granted P & T, he/she will not be reduced.

When VA awards/grants a veteran P & T, a VA Form 21-8760 will be in his Rating Decision Packet.   

VBA-21-8760-ARE.pdf (va.gov)

Correct. Your commissary letter will say it also.

Here's mine.  The letter form number is AB8. You can find it on Ebenefits or VA.Gov under your letters link. 

see example here: 

commissaryLetter.thumb.JPG.61d542255908cd79efc553d1dd1c75a1.JPG

Occasionally there are re-exams, usually in conditions like cancer remissions, or mental health (depression, not PTSD or named conditions like bipolar- those are their own can of worms) that can fluctuate over the first few years before its considered recurrent or severe. Taking medication for mental may stabilize you but  IT IS NOT A CURE, and it is not demonstrative of "sustained improvement" if you have to keep taking them. I can't stress this enough guys/gals- PLEASE don't NOT take your meds or NOT go to get evaluated if you need it- whether you do it privately or VAMC. 

I had to work with 2 claims this week for deceased veteran's dependents related to conditions that were diagnosed but not SC yet- they were in the claiming stage so at least I was able to make sure that the dependents were able to continue the claim. From the notes it looked like the vets had issues for years and only recently had started seeing someone about it. Granted the conditions that caused their demise were not their mental state (thankfully) but were of more natural causes. I still really really don't like those days when I have to read about it. Tack on a few PTSD claims and i'm mentally checked out by noon and have to step away. 😞

Edited by brokensoldier244th

Broken, (TIMHO) This Is My Humble Opinion, but you should not post this information here. You know the old story two wrongs don't make a right. Yes, it is out there but by posting it on this site could get more unwanted eyes on it.

Edited by pacmanx1