Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

GETTING SERVICE RECORDS BEFORE JULY1973

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Anyone Know how long it takes the VA to receive our service/medical records from the date we ETS?And then sent to the NRPS  IN ST LOUIS.?

Example  I got out Feb 1972...the NRPC Fire was July 1973.DESTROYED MANY VETERANS RECORDS  OR WAS SHREDDED?

As I understand that some or most all  of the WAR WAR II Veterans records were destroyed in the fire and some Vietnam veterans records were destroyed in the fire. or non-vietnam veterans records who were stationed else where.

I HAVE MY OFFICIAL Honor discharge Certificate sign by president Nixon,,,I got it after 6 years from the date of Feb 4th 1972 from my  ETS   So thats 6 years  of being inactive in the reserves until I got my original Honor  discharge I have it hanging on my office wall here at my home.

if your records were destroyed OR PARTS OF YOUR RECORDS  in this fire  how would you go about getting some records that you need  to prove your where abouts and a change on MOS  even if it was Temporary MOS.?

AND ITS NOT ON YOUR DD-214  and other information that is not on your DD 214.  LIKE UNITS AND LOCATIONS AND THE DIFFERENT COUNTRIES YOU SERVED IN   FOR ME  IT WAS  Friedrichsfelder Str. 29, 68723 Schwetzingen, Germany   217TH HEAVY EQUIP COMPANY B 1ST BATTALION. (Thompkins Barracks)

The board of a military Corrections of  Records will not use  Pictures as evidence  or your recollection of where you say you was and your unit or battalion headquarters that you remember but don't have it documented,

At the time I was ETS from the military at Oakland OUT PROCESSING CENTER IN Oakland California Feb 4th 1972

There is no mention of this in my C-FILE WHAT SO EVER..I DO HAVE MEDICAL NOTES FROM Germany when I went to sick call  from Dr's notes and it has my unit and battalion on these notes...this is not good evidence as they came back and denied my change to my DD 214.

Sometimes when a Veteran is sent (orders for relocation) and he is not doing his MOS  but another MOS temp assignment   he does this MOS the rest of the time he is in the military  until he ETS ..However it is not recorded on his DD 214....Simply the main reason was his C.O. OR NCO in charge did not address this issue at the time and date he was ordered or was sent to do a Job other than what the he was trained to do as his MOS while in the military.

MY MOS was change or I as ordered to do a job other than what I was trained to do  in AIT.... I never did what I was trained to do while in the last 12 months of my military commitment  which was in Vietnam  different locations.

My Vietnam service is on my DD 214, Unit and battalion, they have the dates all messed up but my Vietnam service is on there but not my Germany service  not what so ever even mention on my DD 214..

In my opinion all your service dates must be entered on your DD 214...SO WHO EVER FILLED OUT MY DD 214 never added my Germany service to my DD 214 AND IT SHOULD BE ON THERE..

I HAD TO PROVE MY MILITARY SERVICE THE HARD WAY FROM VIETNAM  AS I REMEMBERED THE LOCATION AND CLOSE TO THE DATES AS POSSIBLE  and my unit  ,LIKE IT WAS CHRISTMAS NIGHT  WHEN WE GOT ATTACKED FROM THE  NVA  and had to run for our lives diving into the bunkers close by 

Anyway who ever fills out these DD 214 GOT MINE ALL WRONG AND I HAD TO PROVE MY WHEREABOUTS AND LOCATIONS AND DATES THE BEST I REMEMBER ,  WELL THEY  (VA) CAME BACK AND SAID WE HAVE CHECKED OUT YOUR STORY AND FOUND IT TO BE OF MERRIT AND I WAS APPROVED ON MY CLAIM.

HOWEVER THE BOARD OF MILITARY CORRECTIONS (RECORD DIVISION) IN VIRGINIA WILL NOT....AND THEY DENIED ANY DD 214 CORRECTIONS  TO MY DD 214.

.I  KNOW I WAS THERE IN GERMANY FROM Jan 10 1970   to Dec 1970  almost a complete year   they denied me on this  and said I do not have enough evidence to make a change..I been fighting with these Idiots for about 15 years now to make these changes.   grrrrrrrrrrr

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Many of my medical records from my last duty station were missing from my records.  I wrote to the commanding officer and asked if he had my records.  Of course, he said it was all sent to St. Louis.  I was filing a petition to have my discharge changed from honorable to medical .  It did not take all that much time to get the records they had in St. Louis, but getting records from various duty stations that were complete was impossible for me.  My father was a WW11 vet and his records were burned up in the fire.  They did send me a little bit of data but no medical  or personnel.

• HadIt.com Elder

I found the BCMR to be most arrogant.  They ignored any testimony I made and just laughed at my efforts.  I had plenty good documentation on my DD214 and in my Vietnam personnel and medical records to support my claims, but the did not approve any of my claims.   The BCMR did help me get my father's WW11 awards and decorations.  The BCMR does not have a duty to assist that I know of.  They jut tell you to prove it.  I was awarded a disability rating that started the day after I was discharged.  I was not given a medical discharge which I don't understand.  Did my disability happen in the 24 hours from the day I was discharged until the day I got my VA rating?

• HadIt.com Elder

Same with me john999🙄

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!