VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Likelihood of Successful TDIU Claim??

Rate this question

aggravating_coyote

Question

I know it's only a guess, but based on my application, I'm interested to know opinions on my chances of success.  Here are the particulars.

1. Very recently I'm 70% SC for mild neurocognitive disease.
  2. I have not worked full-time since 2017, but have had 2 part-time jobs.
  3. The following items were submitted as part of my application
    1. VA Request for Employment Information forms from both part-time employers documenting, cognitive and behavioral issues. 
    2. Warning letter documenting many behavioral issues from my last full-time employer
    3. HR letter document my behavioral issues as the reason for my contract non-renewal
    4. VA note from my neurologist documenting the SC disabilities making me unemployable with no expected improvement in my conditions

Wil  you offer a guess on my chances of getting permanent and total TDIU?

Thanks

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 hours ago, GBArmy said:

Aggravating Sounds like you have Vascular Neurocognitive disorder, which doesn't get better. You didn't answer when is your next scheduled C&P. That disability can often be found to be static; if so, there is a little more light at the end of the tunnel. Call Peggy (800-827-100) and ask them for a copy of the   coded rate sheet which lists more detail on the current status of your disabilities. It will also say if your disabilities are static or if there is RFE scheduled, which is what you're looking for. But take care of yourself; it is a dementia which progresses usually in steps or stages due to mini-strokes. I wish you well.

Per the neuro, the cause of brain pathology is neurotoxic exposures.  He stated that with age, the condition will deteriorate, which is why I'm only now seeing the effects.  The exposures occurred about 30 years ago during submarine ops.

Your comments are appreciated!

5 hours ago, GBArmy said:

Aggravating Sounds like you have Vascular Neurocognitive disorder, which doesn't get better. You didn't answer when is your next scheduled C&P. That disability can often be found to be static; if so, there is a little more light at the end of the tunnel. Call Peggy (800-827-100) and ask them for a copy of the   coded rate sheet which lists more detail on the current status of your disabilities. It will also say if your disabilities are static or if there is RFE scheduled, which is what you're looking for. But take care of yourself; it is a dementia which progresses usually in steps or stages due to mini-strokes. I wish you well.

Per the VA rep, the code is, "Diagnostic Code 9326 - Organic Mental Syndrome (dementia)".  She thinks they are static.  

Why is does the claim say "mild neurocognitive disease due to brain lesions (previously rated major depressive disorder", when the code is actually dementia?

Thank you.

I think you might have a good chance to get TDIU-

if this can be bolster with an assessment via MRI of brain

1. "VA note from my neurologist documenting the SC disabilities making me unemployable with no expected improvement in my conditions"
  2. or If you get SSDI or SSI solely for the brain trauma-
  3. or if Voc Rehab has ever turned you down ( documeneted)  for VocRehab solely due to this brain trauma.You said:"The exposures occurred about 30 years ago during submarine ops"That seems to be the nexus for your last award. Can you tell us what the exposures were?

forgot to ask- when they awarded the 70% did they enclose a TDIU form?

Or were you employed at that time?

Your Neuro might have to develop an independent medical opinion that follows the IMO/IME criteria here at hadit.

Does he/ she state any other  medical terms for "neurotoxic exposures"within your medical records?

25 minutes ago, Berta said:

forgot to ask- when they awarded the 70% did they enclose a TDIU form?

Or were you employed at that time?

Your Neuro might have to develop an independent medical opinion that follows the IMO/IME criteria here at hadit.

Does he/ she state any other  medical terms for "neurotoxic exposures"within your medical records?

Yes, the TDIU form was in the award letter packet.  I was not employed.

I sent the neuro the "correct" verbiage, but he wrote his own words.  He won't change what's already written in my record.

This the note:

Neurology note

This serves to state that I am the treating neurologist for Mr ************, 
first seen on November 9, 2020 and most recently on February 9, 2021. He 
presented with cognitive and memory impairment and cited multiple chemical 
exposures during his 5 years while serving on a nuclear submarine. He was 
exposed to multiple solvents and cleaning agents called "amine" and many 
others, diesel fumes while in the submarine as well as asbestos exposure. He has 

been diagnosed with cognitive impairment and behavioral impairment consistent 
with a frontotemporal syndrome. The MRI brain scan and PET brain scan were both 
abnormal corroborating these clinical syndromes. In my opinion more likely than 
not, neurotoxicological exposures seem most likely from a causative point of 
view as he has no other vascular risk factors or family history of dementia.

In view of his significant cognitive and behavioral syndromes, he is in my 
opinion not able to maintain gainful employment. I do not anticipate any 
significant improvement in his status for the foreseeable future.

49 minutes ago, Berta said:

I think you might have a good chance to get TDIU-

if this can be bolster with an assessment via MRI of brain

1. "VA note from my neurologist documenting the SC disabilities making me unemployable with no expected improvement in my conditions"
  2. or If you get SSDI or SSI solely for the brain trauma-
  3. or if Voc Rehab has ever turned you down ( documeneted)  for VocRehab solely due to this brain trauma.You said:"The exposures occurred about 30 years ago during submarine ops"That seems to be the nexus for your last award. Can you tell us what the exposures were?

I have an MRI showing something called "hypersensates"  (not sure of spelling.  This led to a PET scan which showed "areas of hypometabolism".  Interestingly,  radiologist's PET scan report stated that the the results may indicate Alzheimer's.   But, I've not been diagnosed with Az, yet.

I have a SSDI case pending.  

I don't think I qualify for voc rehab because I've been out of the Navy for so long.