VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Upcoming c&p exam

Rate this question

Johhny_Drama

Question

I was pleasantly shocked that my exam was set up a week after submitting my paperwork request. My service rep requested a increase for my flat feet issues and secondary issues due to my 30 percent rated feet. I have pulled up the rating guidelines and I have medical records from my podiatrist. Wish they could skip these exams as the medical records lists everything. 
bilateral pain, went the $450 custom inserts and tried for 2 years. No relief. Developed heal spurs and that’s very painful, my Achilles feels like I might snap any day. I tore my calf muscle on top of that due to the way I walk. Some days my Achilles are so tight i can’t leave the house. 
Based off the one rating chart I should be at 50 percent. My question is can I expect secondary conditions - heal spurs which i never had before, Achilles’ tendonitis as they are very tight and tearing my leg muscle which took 6 months to heal but I still have issues with my ankles. I read 10 percent for heel spurs but Is it 10 per foot? My podiatrist keeps trying new methods. Sleeping with a brace, buy more inserts, need mri because she suspects I have a hairline fracture in one foot. It adds up to lots of money and hoping this gets rated to the max. I feel like the podiatrist just wants to make more money. I don’t see this improving. 

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You might want to take your Dr's RECORDS that show your foot/feet is worse. if this C&P Examiner don't seen to touch on your feet getting worse  you can whip out your records that show they are worse,,,ect,,,ect,,,,the examiner can enter them into the record at your exam.

even if you have summitted them   the VA is bad about not sending these examiners all the medical records.

some times these C&P EXAMINER don't get everything they need from the VA...SO if you have them that show at your exam you actually worsen  you should get to the 50%  if the C&P EXAMINER don't have any records that show you deserve an increase  your rating most likely will remain the same.

You can check the Bilateral  Factor to see if they rate the feet separately. I kinda think they do.

Ask the examiner if you can file any secondary claims to what your feet has caused or be in relation to, or just file the claim secondary  to what may have caused the new condition to arise.

and yes you should be able to file secondary conditions that your original condition caused or is related to,,but you need to be careful and make sure its not pyramiding . you will need  qualified Dr Medical opinion for that.

Edited by Buck52

I am assuming you podiatrist is not a VA doctor...?

I have a similar condition but am a civilian-----my orthos used to cost 585 , but my new podiatrist only charged me 350 a few years ago... no plaster casts just an odd foam he had to force and hold my feet in.

I asked him during the covid  if he could order new orthos for me-but he said the company he uses cannot get the materials they needed, I guess they come from China?

Buck is correct!

If these are private records from a real podiatrist- he might be willing to give you a strong IME,that follows the IMO/IME criteria here at hadit

but- on the other hand, these podiatry records should be available to the C & P examiner and also to the VA in support of your claim.

Flat feet can cause multiple secondary problems.

I use a night brace too sometimes- it was about 95 bucks- VA gave my neighbor the cheapest inserts they could. His Knees ( TKR) are service connected  They say one third of seniors fall every year but Medicare does not pay for custom  orthos, and neither does CHAMPVA- but which could prevent falls in some cases.

to add:

"ORDER

Entitlement to an initial 50 percent rating for bilateral flat feet, effective January 30, 2012, is granted.

Entitlement to a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) is granted."

"FINDINGS OF FACT

1. The functional impairment resulting from the Veteran’s bilateral flat feet has more nearly approximated a pronounced flatfoot disability since the effective date of service connection.

2. The Veteran is entitled to a combined 60 percent rating for disabilities resulting from a common etiology, and these disabilities at least as likely as not prevent him from engaging in substantially gainful employment for which his education and occupational history would otherwise qualify him."

https://www.va.gov/vetapp20/files6/20037168.txt

Many years ago I found a vet awarded TDIU at the BVA due to back,hip and knee disabilities caused by his SC pes planus ( flat feet)

I just used this BVA search feature for 2020 and 2021-- the denials are as important as any awards there.

https://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva_search.jsp?QT=TDIU&EW=flat+feet&AT=secondaries&ET=&RPP=10&DB=2021&DB=2020

On 6/21/2021 at 9:39 AM, Berta said:

to add:

"ORDER

Entitlement to an initial 50 percent rating for bilateral flat feet, effective January 30, 2012, is granted.

Entitlement to a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) is granted."

"FINDINGS OF FACT

1. The functional impairment resulting from the Veteran’s bilateral flat feet has more nearly approximated a pronounced flatfoot disability since the effective date of service connection.

2. The Veteran is entitled to a combined 60 percent rating for disabilities resulting from a common etiology, and these disabilities at least as likely as not prevent him from engaging in substantially gainful employment for which his education and occupational history would otherwise qualify him."

Many years ago I found a vet awarded TDIU at the BVA due to back,hip and knee disabilities caused by his SC pes planus ( flat feet)

I just used this BVA search feature for 2020 and 2021-- the denials are as important as any awards there.

https://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva_search.jsp?QT=TDIU&EW=flat+feet&AT=secondaries&ET=&RPP=10&DB=2021&DB=2020

Buck and Berta Thank you for responding 

this started at 10 percent then went to 30 in 2016. Since then I have developed heal spurs on both feet. X-ray confirmed. Ordered and tried those custom orthotics for over 580.00 and did this for over 2 years. Didn’t work much for me. Now they want to have me wear night splints and my Achilles were to tight to even fit the one they had in the office. I have very tight Achilles both ankles. I tore my left calf muscle. 
based off this I did read my podiatrist notes. List several things like bilateral plantar fasciitis, list deformity bilateral along with bilateral Achilles’ tendonitis and I’m hoping that after seeing all of this the VA will award 50 for my feet. I’m not sure how they would rate the secondary issues listed which was Achilles tendonitis and heal spurs. Do they combine all or? 
they didn’t increase my feet in 2016 because I didn’t get custom orthotics and now that I had that and nothing then I’d hope for increase however there was a rating change for feet in 2021 and looks like 30 percent Is the max which would be awful. I’m current sitting at 91 percent and not sure what’s going to happen. Like others I’m sure, I’m very tired of paying for treatment after treatment for my feet. Which is causing additional issues like my right knee and back which is listed in my doc notes but I haven’t listed that because I’m not able to spend more money seeing another doctor. 

On 6/21/2021 at 9:39 AM, Berta said:

to add:

"ORDER

"FINDINGS OF FACT

And I did bring my doctors notes and the examiner at my c and p exam was very thorough in looking over my notes and typing each item ..very thoroughly. Usually these last 10 to 15 min. This one lasted close to a hour and that was dr reviewing typing and asking me questions. Then spent few seconds looking over my feet. It was obvious. Trying to locate his notes from examine but not sure if they list online.